Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyres, Road and wet track use?

rsty

I currently have michelin pilot sport cups on my 993 rs and im wondering which tyres are best for use on road runs and on wet track days.

Welcome rsty & a great car too.

You might want to wait until our 993RS expert gets back from LeMans, but I know he's just changed to Toyo R888's. I use the R888's for track & Michelin PS2's for road. The PS2's are great in the wet, even in horrid conditions I've never felt anything but safe. I ran the R888's at Spa in the wet & they felt fine but were brand new with full tread. The R888's are noticeably noiser on the road.

rsty said:
I currently have michelin pilot sport cups on my 993 rs and im wondering which tyres are best for use on road runs and on wet track days.

Can't say on the 993RS, but on the GT3, I've found Michelin PS2s to be the best BY FAR as an all round road tyre that can also handle wet (and limited dry) trackdays.

If I used my car on the road and in the wet more often, I would switch out from the R888s to the PS2s in a heartbeat.

MPSCs in the wet are lethal... be very very careful...

i love the R888's - granted its only a weekend car, and I do respect it in the wet - but fantastic grip when you can play... (1986 - 911 though...)

If I could get hold of 888's I would give them a go, not impressed with MPSC's at all,fine over here in winter if it's dry, as soon as the temp is over 40( 7 months of the year here) they slide all over the shop, wet weather not really a problem here(10 mins a year).

Max

Max Bowler said:
If I could get hold of 888's I would give them a go, not impressed with MPSC's at all,fine over here in winter if it's dry, as soon as the temp is over 40( 7 months of the year here) they slide all over the shop, wet weather not really a problem here(10 mins a year).

Max

MPSCs are better at high temps than R888s.

Cheers Adrien, still at a loss as to what to fit next tyre change, I want something with great grip in high temps, problem over here is everyone tends to stick with whatever the car came with so there is very little available data on tyre swapping. May have to give something a go and hope for the best, I got my car in Oct 2 years ago, when it had cooled down a lot, loved the MPSC's, couldn't fault them until the following spring, now it slides all over the show, fairly evenly, nothing dramatic I thought maybe the tyres had aged, put a new set on but no change.

Max

The tarmac must get to 60+ over there all the time. What about trying a harder compound? Wouldn't be so good in the winter then though.

Not sure exactly how hot, air temp high 40's at the moment(47-49), track days in Bahrain cancelled till Oct, apparntly a guy in a 996 GT3 RS got through a brand new set of MPSC's in 2 laps, rubber fell off the carcass on the rears. Maybe you're right about swapping to a harder compound for summer, got some time to think about it, new tyres only been on about 1000km.

Max

rsty said:

I had a set of SO2s on the car when I got it, may be it's the age of the tyres but I just didn't like it at all. Did use a set of SO2 in the past on my C2 and didn't rate it much either, although everybody speaks very highly about it.

Had the P-zero assim on the C2 and loved it, precise and sharpe handling, good dry grip and reasonable wet grip. Then they stopped doing the P-0 assim, tried a set of Rosso they replaced it with, didn't like it as much as the Assim.

Now I have a set of R888 on the RS, so far I'm very very impressed after just one day in Spa. Reasonably good grip in the wet as long as there's not much standing water, and more grip than I can handle at the moment in the dry. Very precise and excellent turn in. Rumbles and shakes a bit when the pressure is lowered on track before the tyres get warm, but after a lap or so the tyrs warm up and it's fantastic! In the wet the car felt a bit nervous but then I was running on a dry roll bar set up (full stiff rear, one off from full stiff front).

Haven't tried the Mitch but at that cost, the R888 is hard to resist for a track/weakend car!

In those temps, any 'normal' tyre not purpose-designed for those high temps will melt with the results that guy you refer to.

Perhaps enquire with some of the racing teams there and see what they recommend?

Max Bowler said:
Not sure exactly how hot, air temp high 40's at the moment(47-49), track days in Bahrain cancelled till Oct, apparntly a guy in a 996 GT3 RS got through a brand new set of MPSC's in 2 laps, rubber fell off the carcass on the rears.

That was an expensive couple of laps at £1K per set! :(

Thought about full slicks,but if I do it probably means swapping the wheels as well, as I still need something road legal, may be all the excuse I need for a set 19" cargraphic race jobbies, you see every cloud.............

Max

Cargraphic Race! good wheels, but stick to the 18s...

If you're running slicks, you will need to upgrade the suspension and quite a few other bits...

Suspension wise, already decided on the Cargraphic race setup with uniball rear upgrade and replacing all the suspension bushes with their solid items, any particular reason for sticking to 18's?

Max

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back