Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Emission Warning Light ON !!!! Advice needed Please.

Evil Dr J

Hi Guys

The emission warning light came on this morning and is constantly lit. And it did not rectify itself on the drive home this evening.

It is not flashing.

About 6 months ago it did light up once, but went out when the engine was restarted. This time it has stayed on

I have a MY01 Cab preface lift 996.

Any advice on cause and a fix would be greatfully appreciated.

I would prefer it if I had a solution before Porsche East London get their hands on it and give me a big bill.

Cheers

MAF, coilpacks or faulty Lambda sensor. Get it on a PST and see if it's one of those.

You could clean the MAF with electronics cleaner, just remember to disconnect the battery to clear the fault.

If it is one of these any idea of costs?

Camtune have had my car in the past but I live in London E14 now. Does anyone know of a good independent in the area?

Coil packs are relatively cheap about £40 plus labour.....but to be honest it doesn't sound like these.

This might sound daft but have you tried the petrol cap, this kept happening on my 745i. I'd take the cap off and then put it back on and the light would go out, not sure if the Porsche is as sensitive but maybe worth a try.
The reason why I checked mine was because in Top Gear mag they mentioned having the engine light on in a Corvette Z06 in Death Valley and they called for support and it was diagnosed as being the fuel cap loose.

Marcus Quigley said:
This might sound daft but have you tried the petrol cap, this kept happening on my 745i. I'd take the cap off and then put it back on and the light would go out, not sure if the Porsche is as sensitive but maybe worth a try.
The reason why I checked mine was because in Top Gear mag they mentioned having the engine light on in a Corvette Z06 in Death Valley and they called for support and it was diagnosed as being the fuel cap loose.

Nice one, definitely worth trying that :)

I will try it out, but wouldn't it have happened after I last filled it up? The tank is now 1/2 full.

Update - Having been away on business and not used the car for a week. The light is still on.

I have tried the fuel cap and it is not that.

I will disconnect the battery over the weekend and see if the fault comes back.

It might not be as serious as it sounds. Have you connected to the computer and got the diagnostics?

I very much doubt that disconnecting the battery will fix the problem and at the end of the day, you need to get it checked out, because it might be the start of something more seroius.

I had the same warning light in my wife's Toyota and it was simply the emissions sensor that had failed and was replaced for £250.

Obviously the Porsche part will be a lot more expensive, but I suspect it will be a relatively easy swap, from a labour point of view.

You can't get rid of the light without taking it do a dealer to get it reset. The car is perfectly OK to drive with the light on as it merely indicates that your emissions are too high because there's a faulty air valve or O2 sensor. This is something that wouldn't have been picked up until a service on less modern cars but we've got the americans to thank for the 'check engine' light as you don't get an anti smog certificate without one.

If you take it to a Porsche main dealer it'll cost over £300 for a new air valve to be fitted (£85 labour for 45 mins work!) so I suggest visitng an independant. You could of course just get the light reset if your MOT isn't due for a while!

Nic

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back