Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New windscreen

wagonface

Barcelona
My windscreen has the usual array of pockmarks, but on the drivers side it also has some very fine swirl marks (a windscreen cleaner jumped out at some traffic lights and used a sponge that left light swirl marks). The marks dont show up in the daytime, but at night they are visible when oncoming lights shine at you, and get worse when its wet.

I got a quote of c.£350 from RAC Autoglass to replace it. Does anyone know if that is good value, and would they use a genuine screen (ie good quality)? The guy I spoke to wasnt that knowledgeable...

Thanks for any help, Josh

wagonface said:
My windscreen has the usual array of pockmarks, but on the drivers side it also has some very fine swirl marks (a windscreen cleaner jumped out at some traffic lights and used a sponge that left light swirl marks). The marks dont show up in the daytime, but at night they are visible when oncoming lights shine at you, and get worse when its wet.

I got a quote of c.£350 from RAC Autoglass to replace it. Does anyone know if that is good value, and would they use a genuine screen (ie good quality)? The guy I spoke to wasnt that knowledgeable...

Thanks for any help, Josh

Josh, you have windscreen Insurance don't you? A nice little tap with a ball-pein should create a stone chip type crack resulting in the windscreen needing replacement :)

You can get glass polishing kits that remove swirls from glass, but if you've got that many pockmarks then replacement probably best :)

Had the windscreen replaced on the Golf just a few months ago. Only had to pay excess and Insurance covered the rest. No-claims bonuus was not affected. But then I had to replace it anyway 'cos a stone chip hit me while I was on the M-way!

~ Maxie

I tried to claim Insurance but they said no, unless cracked.

Damian - what brand are these polishing kits? I tried normal glass polish combined with elbow grease, but that didnt do anything.

thanks damian - check out the vintage of the car (and the drill) in that picture!

do you think its an RS...?

I thought about using that- didn't have the courage!

I broke the windscreen on my BMW (unintentionally I might add) by dropping the wiper arm on it with the wiper blade detatched.

Nice new screen fitted 'on the house'!

The total bill I noted was nearly £800...

I broke my windcreen on day 1 of 996 owenership when changing the wiper blades - the book suggests using a towel to protect it - I ignored this advice.
So phoned Insurance - £60 excess and Autoglass phoned me within 1 hour - came out at the weeknd and fixed it but.....ever since, the radio receptionm has been patchy....they used an original screen but Im worried they didnt connect the aerial properly - any idea where the plug may be and can I get to it without removing too many pieces of trim???

wagonface said:
thanks damian - check out the vintage of the car (and the drill) in that picture!

do you think its an RS...?

I think its a BD62 and around 320W IIRC, cracking drill in its time, built around a cast gearbox, replaceable brushes, both you only get on pro drills these days like B&D use on their DeWalt range. They came in Jade and then Orange. Could be customised to cut hedges. :oops:

abartman said:
I broke my windcreen on day 1 of 996 owenership when changing the wiper blades - the book suggests using a towel to protect it - I ignored this advice.
So phoned Insurance - £60 excess and Autoglass phoned me within 1 hour - came out at the weeknd and fixed it but.....ever since, the radio receptionm has been patchy....they used an original screen but Im worried they didnt connect the aerial properly - any idea where the plug may be and can I get to it without removing too many pieces of trim???

Feck!
reminds me of the day i picked up my Honda CM125 from Frettons. 2 pot, 4 stoke, custom styling. £949 brand new in '83. Jesus them prices are long gone!. Anyway i'd only ridden it 47 miles (totally no training before riding in them days) and decided to take it to the top of the big hill in Newbold Common ( Damian will know this place) On coming down, i slipped, fell off and bent the bars and & indicator :cry:
My face was very red going back the same day to price up the parts. Remember lying and saying it fell off its side stand.
To this day, i don't know who has the bike, but i still have the log book.
Heavy partying in them early biker times. from 17 to 30 ish. lol.

Flatsix said:
abartman said:

Feck!
reminds me of the day i picked up my Honda CM125 from Frettons. 2 pot, 4 stoke, custom styling. £949 brand new in '83. Jesus them prices are long gone!. Anyway i'd only ridden it 47 miles (totally no training before riding in them days) and decided to take it to the top of the big hill in Newbold Common ( Damian will know this place) On coming down, i slipped, fell off and bent the bars and & indicator :cry:
My face was very red going back the same day to price up the parts. Remember lying and saying it fell off its side stand.
To this day, i don't know who has the bike, but i still have the log book.
Heavy partying in them early biker times. from 17 to 30 ish. lol.

Crazy things we do in our youth :)

abartman said:
Im worried they didnt connect the aerial properly - any idea where the plug may be and can I get to it without removing too many pieces of trim???

The windscreen has a copper 'pad' (which the aerial runs up from) on the bottom centre that's supposed to 'touch' another 'pad' which runs to the aerial lead.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back