Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I need a sports exhaust

Rikyy

Trainee
I have a 2003 C4S, but alas, no sports exhaust. I cant justify the price of the OPC exhaust, so have been looking around at alternatives. I know of the mufflers on ebay for 300 quid but i was also looking at the fabspeed website. They seem pretty good, at $1095, approx 575 quid.

Anybody had any experience of these.

I am going to the states in August - wonder if they will fit in my hand luggage.

Cheers

I went through the same process with mine 2003 c2 - Coz they were soooo cheap I risked the ebay route (as many others on here have done) at got the Oettle Autodeinst ones from ebay. 400 quid fitted inc clamps etc via local indy. They sound great - makes the hairs on yr neck stand up every time you rev it...which will become often when get one....

I looked at the fabspeed ones too.... very tempted...but shipping was $350, then there is import duty and VAT so would have been about 8/900+ inc fitting etc... twice that of the Oettle ones and getting close to OPC prices....

But, Fabspeed zorsts are reported to be very good - lighter and sound great.

....my twopenneth... :)

Gert at Carnewal does a set of RSRs for about £300ish fitted, if you go over to belgium to have them fitted. They are good and get a reccomendation from me.

If you want a standard C4S exhaust to 'convert' whilst leaving your originals intact you can take the 2 out of my garage :)

I put a Fabspeed system on my C4 Cab and I wouldn't have one again.

Put together really nicely but the drone at cruising speed was maddening.

I've got Fabspeeds on mine and the sound is fantastic, especially with the induction kit as well. The only annoying drone I get is when keeping the revs at a constant 2,500 to 3,000 revs at lower speeds. At motorway speed, you don't notice the drone.

Seagull said:
I've got Fabspeeds on mine and the sound is fantastic, especially with the induction kit as well. The only annoying drone I get is when keeping the revs at a constant 2,500 to 3,000 revs at lower speeds. At motorway speed, you don't notice the drone.

Well around 3000 rpm on a light throttle was where it annoyed me - I drive at least 80 miles a day and half of that is on dual carriageways :cry:

No argument with the sound accelerating or at low revs, trouble is, eliminating the drone at that level is the trick which most systems can't pull off for some reason,.

If you can get hold of the PSE rear boxes then I have all the vacuum parts and electrics as a kit I'm about to put on eBay.

PSE is essential IMO.

stats007 said:
If you can get hold of the PSE rear boxes then I have all the vacuum parts and electrics as a kit I'm about to put on eBay.

PSE is essential IMO.

And I have the full instructions if someone is brave enough to try. I did, certainly helps with resale :)

martynb said:
Seagull said:

Well around 3000 rpm on a light throttle was where it annoyed me - I drive at least 80 miles a day and half of that is on dual carriageways :cry:

No argument with the sound accelerating or at low revs, trouble is, eliminating the drone at that level is the trick which most systems can't pull off for some reason,.

PSE is the best sports exhaust I've had on any car, ever. There is no boom or drone, but it is loud :twisted: so its good to be able to turn it off.

I think Dave K described the difference best, he loved the sound of the PSE on his old Targa but described the sound of the Fabspeeds as "more purposeful"

Not sure what to do now. I liked the idea of the fabspeeds, but am now concerned about the droning sound at cruising speeds, especially as i have two young children in the back of the car.

Also the shipping costs of the fabspeeds does appear a lot, especially if you get charged VAT as well.

Decisions, Decisions.

Rikyy said:
Not sure what to do now. I liked the idea of the fabspeeds, but am now concerned about the droning sound at cruising speeds, especially as i have two young children in the back of the car.

Also the shipping costs of the fabspeeds does appear a lot, especially if you get charged VAT as well.

Decisions, Decisions.

Rikyy, have a look at www.design911.co.uk, they do the fabspeeds (and others) for around £595 (+VAT)

I have also been thinking about replacements as the silencers on my 99 C4 are starting to split at the seams

Also the header flanges seem to have crusty rust on them, and bearing in mind they are heaviliy cutaway (for lightness or to account for thermal expansion) don't look like they will keep the manifolds attached to the block for much longer. Is this common?

I note that the manifolds are listed in the warrenty, but I suspect that Porsche will see these issues as general wear and tear, and therefore they will not be covered.

Has anyone had any experience with replacing the headers and silencers?

Hi all...ive just replaced my silencers on my 996 c4 cab,got them from design 911 and i also got an cold air induction kit and all i can say is "WOW"!!!!.the sound from them is unreal compared to what it was before.To change them is a bit of a ball ache because of the longest nut and bolt on the silencer bracket wont pass the chassis.so what i did was cut the head off the bolt and when i got the new silencer in place i replaced the one i cut with threaded bar which will make the job easier if i need to take them off for any reason.I dont know if mine were in the wrong way round but if yours is the same then id do what ive suggested.I did the job in about an hour a side.
Hope this helps
Jayse

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back