Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is the 996 TT too fast for the UK ?

Gastro

Monza
Its a serious question - believe it or not.
Having moved out of my lovely C4S - I'm really thinking whether my TT is really just too fast for UK roads......

I don't believe its a track car - I would have had a GT3 if that was my thing - although I know many who track their TT's. I really wanted a car that would hack the daily 10 mile commute.

Its great for those overtaking manoeuvres - but I'm into silly figures in no time at all. I'm constantly braking to save my license !!!

Anyone else felt this way or will it just take me some time to adjust ?

Yours confused....

Simon

Gastro said:
Having moved out of my lovely C4S - I'm really thinking whether my TT is really just too fast for UK roads......

I don't believe its a track car - I would have had a GT3 if that was my thing - although I know many who track their TT's. I really wanted a car that would hack the daily 10 mile commute.

Its great for those overtaking manoeuvres - but I'm into silly figures in no time at all. I'm constantly braking to save my license !!!

Yours confused....

Simon

To be honest Simon it's just going to take time to get used to it, the Turbo isn't any faster than a GT3, just a little more peaky with its power delivery. So careful use of the gears and revs should see you fine :)

Carl said:
Its your right foot. :D

You could be onto something there :?:

Damian said:
Gastro said:

Yours confused....

Simon

To be honest Simon it's just going to take time to get used to it, the Turbo isn't any faster than a GT3, just a little more peaky with its power delivery. So careful use of the gears and revs should see you fine :)

I think you may be right there Damian.
I get a sudden umpf in the back as the Turbo spools up, then silly numbers, then brake...... it just feels on/wallop/off ...... hardly sedate either !! :?

Don't take this the wrong way - but get some driver training :)

Guys like Steve Smith and Ian Halton (both ex. Porsche Driving Experience) who are police / special forces training instructors, who will help you master your roadcraft.

Funny thing is that you can have more fun in a 130bhp Golf TDi on the roads, than a 996TT when you learn when, where and how to use the road.

It was the best investment I ever made in driving - I then went on to get my race licence and get my kicks on track - leaving the roads to be enjoyed at lower speeds but having the fun in the corners when it's safe to do so.

HTH

Philip

pmjt said:
Don't take this the wrong way - but get some driver training :)

Guys like Steve Smith and Ian Halton (both ex. Porsche Driving Experience) who are police / special forces training instructors, who will help you master your roadcraft.

Funny thing is that you can have more fun in a 130bhp Golf TDi on the roads, than a 996TT when you learn when, where and how to use the road.

It was the best investment I ever made in driving - I then went on to get my race licence and get my kicks on track - leaving the roads to be enjoyed at lower speeds but having the fun in the corners when it's safe to do so.

HTH

Philip

Good point........ I think this is the a car that I would definitely benefit from some good training !

You get use to extra power and acceleration very quickly. Think of the first time you drove a performance car. When I first got my 993C2, it was mind blowingly fast and I was sure I was going to be either dead within a mth or be in jail!

Gastro said:
Damian said:
Gastro said:

Yours confused....

Simon

I think you may be right there Damian.
I get a sudden umpf in the back as the Turbo spools up, then silly numbers, then brake...... it just feels on/wallop/off ...... hardly sedate either !! :?

Drive it like a turbo diesel and limit the revs you use :)

I find the power more useful for getting out of a problem rather than into one.
Those tricky overtakes where the numpty speeds up on the straights and then 30mph on the sweeping bends. I found it to be a simple issue of passing the other person quickly and putting myself in danger for less time.
It could be said its too quick for the UK roads, but having spent the weekend in the Peak district including the Cattle and fiddle pass I must say I did find places to use its potential, with the loud pedal firmly planted to the carpet.... sure I possibly never even broke the speed limit :roll: but I had a great time enjoying what the car can offer.

As others have said, driver training is the way forward.. which I'm lucky enough to be getting at Millbrook in a few weeks time.

garyw

This was my view, esp for the driving I do, hence I went down the C4S route.

On the occasions when you get to use the power, the TT would be a riot, but for 99% of the time the C4S is quite fast enough for me! That said, I'd love a TT one day, or even a GT2 :twisted:

You'll probably get more used to the turbo power delivery, but as said above, some driver training may speed that familiarity process up- its a great day out too.

Ive had a drive in a 997 GT3 RS and a 997 Turbo, the turbo is scary fast but for me a little 1 dimensional compared to the GT3 which is slower but much more fun and has maybe the best engine in the world..... My commute is 46 miles each way and I wouldnt think twice about a Gt3 if I could afford it.
If only GT3`s had rear seats. :idea: .(sports ones off course :D )

asim hassan said:
Ive had a drive in a 997 GT3 RS and a 997 Turbo, the turbo is scary fast but for me a little 1 dimensional compared to the GT3 which is slower but much more fun and has maybe the best engine in the world..... My commute is 46 miles each way and I wouldnt think twice about a Gt3 if I could afford it.
If only GT3`s had rear seats. :idea: .(sports ones off course :D )

You'll find the Turbo isn't much quicker than the GT3RS, it's the delivery that's the big, big difference :eek:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back