Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is PCM etc worth worrying about?

Philip1972

I have found a potential car without PCM/Sat Nav. It's a 2003 TT. There is also a 2001 with sat nav etc but it is obviously older. Now I think I would prefer the 2003 and just use Tom tom but what do you all think? Both very similar in everything else including miles and colours...

The 2001 will only have PCM 1 I suspect whch is not as good as PCm 2 or 2.1 (which is fitted in the 997)

I bought my car without PCM and in the process of buying and installing it to finish off the car and help when it eventually comes time to sell.

Don't think it should have a great effect (and I have also used Tom Tom to great effect up until now). Guess just some people will want the Sat Nav installed.....

I wouldn't personally bother about it so long as the rest of the car is peachy and the price has been adjusted accordingly- its a CD rom based system anyway so not desperately good.

Chances are with the new-gen PCM being DVD based Porsche will stop supporting it as they have PCM1, i.e. no up to date discs.

I have PCM1 in mine and I have to say that it does finish the interior off much better then just having the CD slots. However I tend to use the Tom Tom when needing direction as the PCM1 sat nav is complete sh!te.

Edited to say That the phone module IMO is excellent

Tough call.......Dave has a 2001 TT with PCM and someone from the Chavely Crew told me he doesn't like it that much....care to comment Dave? Essentially the TT is a £90k car and for me a £300 Tom Tom unit looks a bit silly perched on top of the dashboard....but then that is only my opinion and others would not share this view. If it was me, I'd hold out for a TT with PCM 2 (I think these came out in 2003?).

~ Maxie

IMO I wouldn't want PCM1 as it is crap - but does look nice as Dave says. But PCM 2 Sep/2002 owards is worth considering. MInd you give it a few years and these will probably be considered as bad as PCM1.

Unless buying a 997 I wouldn't worry about PCM at all. Use it to negiotate the price down a bit more and buy a Tom Tom.

Even if you had pcm first thing you should do is (and follow this to the letter)

* pull the pcm out using imense and lethal force (shock and awe)
* put it on ebay and sell it to unsuspecting soul
* buy pioneer d3 or d1 (avic) and get it installed together with BT module
* enjoy PROPER navigation with TMC and everything else

legal disclaimer : author doesn't work for PIONEER LTD or any of its subsidiaries, never have
note to PIONEER LTD. ; I'd appreciate free d3 and/or d1 free as a thank you for this unsolicited advertising

Rgrds Voya

legal disclaimer : author doesn't work for PIONEER LTD or any of its subsidiaries, never have note to PIONEER LTD. ; I'd appreciate free d3 and/or d1 free as a thank you for this unsolicited advertising.

LOL!!! :D

Damn good idea....

~ Maxie

Philip, I'd kind of guess that anyone out there looking at the huge number of 996turbo's is going to be influenced by the best specificaiton that their money can buy. Therefore, so should you. A lot of buyers will be totally unaware of the difference between PCM1 and PCM2 but will know which car has sat nav and a telephone module. If these options influence buyers choice and therefore the price, it must surely influence the decision you make for yourself.

I understand what your saying there. Ideally I would want it, for as Dave says, if nothing else it looks good. However, the 2003 is £47995 and the 2001 is £47995. Both are grey and other than the sat nav spec is the same. Both the same miles, both full OPC history. The 2003 has warranty till Nov (although I would get a warranty on the 2001 too). Both have had recent major services and new discs/pads. I just think that the 2003 is better value.....

Definately go for the 2003 car. A good Sat nav can be retrofitted if you need to.

Philip1972 said:
I understand what your saying there. Ideally I would want it, for as Dave says, if nothing else it looks good. However, the 2003 is £47995 and the 2001 is £47995. Both are grey and other than the sat nav spec is the same. Both the same miles, both full OPC history. The 2003 has warranty till Nov (although I would get a warranty on the 2001 too). Both have had recent major services and new discs/pads. I just think that the 2003 is better value.....

So would I. Newer would be the way to go assuming the miles are proportionally lower but....
isn't the 2001 car too expensive anyway so your not comparing apples with apples.
(sorry, the comment on miles has just sunk in! - still think £48K for a 2001 is too much unless there is a good reason why ..)

Yep gotta agree...get the newer car and retrofit a sat nav afterwards if you want one. I just use a TomTom when I need it.

Good hunting... :)

I'm biased......... as I bought my car (MY03) because the rest of the spec was right - X50, Carbon pack, Aerokit and many many other options except PCM.

PCM I is utter shite.
PCM II is OK - but isn't as good as a Tom Tom IMHO.

Also PCM isn't covered with the warranty - and there have been too many stories of unit failur. Since its a largely non-serviceable part you have to buy another unit if it goes Pete Tong.

Rgds,
Simon

Just out of interest, I purchased a portable sat nav for £98 plus VAT just to make my visits to various sites and meetings easier (getting hard to read maps at my age :oops: )

Personally I hate add-ons in cars with all those drooping wires etc. and am simply not that bothered about gadgets either.

It seems an inexpensive and useful bit of kit and you can see why so many argue that a built in satnav shouldn't be an issue when buying a car.

(Navman F20 Sat Nav - UK & Ireland Mapping - 3.5" Colour Touch-Screen - Navman F20 Sat Nav - UK & Ireland Mapping - 3.5" Colour Touch-Screen )

I'd add that by opting to open a google account, I saved another £10. Delvery was free because it was over a certain value and it came as part of a hardware buy for the business.

Seems an amazing for the money

I bought it from this company; http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/home/

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back