Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 RS v 996 GT2 price stability

MARTINH

Morning
My first post on here and I'm particularly interested in comments on which car they think will retain more value in years to come. I'm almost ready to purchase either a 996 GT3 RS or a 996 GT2.

Which will hold more value in say 5 years time? Will the GT2's market value have dropped way below the GT3RS's? Which is more desirable?

Any comments?

Cheers
Mart

Hi Martin, at present I am living in the middle east, but this thread is of

particular interest to me as I am in the same boat, there is a 996 GT3 RS

for sale in blue in Riyadh and a GT2 for sale in Black in Bahrain, I posted

a similar question a few weeks ago. Obviously I haven't a clue what

residuals will do in he UK as it's been 5 years since I left, but most of the

suggestions I was given were based purely on personnel choice. Get a

test drive in both and see what you think. With a lot less power and

torque, unless you are a well above average driver, go for the RS, not

many people who have bought something with an RS badge have lost a

great deal of cash, they really are sought after, the GT2 really is a niche

market. Whatever you buy though, you know it will make you smile every

time you jump in it.

Max

Hi Matinh, I'm hoping they both hold up well, although looking at the cost originally of the GT2 they have already lost alot of there value. The other point being they are two different cars, I was driven around Oulton Park in an RS which was fantastic on the track, but recently went out in a GT2 on the road which was simply awesome.
Has I will very rarely be doing track days I should be going for a GT2 instead - IMO GT2 looks better and more user friendly regds use of rear seat area.
You will need to drive both and then make the decision.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I've not managed to drive either at the moment, the closest I've driven is the silver GT3 mk2 comfort that Paragon have. That's a lovely car and has loads of feedback from the steering and a firm ride.

Without a doubt the GT2 has lost alot of its vaule compared to the RS.

Even if I drive these side by side and love one more over the other I think i'll make my final descision based on which one will hold it's value better say over a 5 year period. At the moment my money is on the GT3 RS

Any more opinions?

Depends what you are going to do in the car really. I would say the GT2 would depreciate less. In fact you might make money with one over 5 years.

I don't think the good GT3 RSs will ever drop below £50K, but since you will be buying at £65ish, then you may lose £15K.

Sopoo,
That's what I'm talking about....
Could the GT2 end up going the route of the 964 RS where buy its price dropped dramatically and then suddenly everyone 'got what they're about' and so prices have steady'd accordingly.

I'd have thought the running costs would be higher for the GT2?

The running costs depend on if your are going to track the cars. Yes the Service is more expensive for the GT2 (Turbos), but tyres geometry suspension changes on a RS will add up over the years.

The truth will come out with the 997 GT2. I think it will be very driveable and tame compared to the 996GT2. And this might prove to be the making of the 996 GT2 - being the last of the truely scary Porsches. This will be good for residuals. Remember the 993 GT2s are now over £100K.

Having said all this I would still have the RS (or standard GT3) as I would enjoy tracking/driving more over the 5 years. And for me enjoying your Porsche is what it is all about. All IMO obviously.

MARTINH said:
Sopoo,
That's what I'm talking about....
Could the GT2 end up going the route of the 964 RS where buy its price dropped dramatically and then suddenly everyone 'got what they're about' and so prices have steady'd accordingly.

I'd have thought the running costs would be higher for the GT2?

Not only that but my money would be on the 964RS going up in value over the 5 years. Something to think about even though it might not be your cup of tea.

"being the last of the truely scary Porsches" - did 96 miles this morning in mine, lovely dry sunny roads, average speed 120 mph - I wasn't scared at all! My radar snooper was working perfickly :D

Dont get me wrong I love the 964 and i'm sure the RS is a fantastic drive but I've been promising myself a newish car for years and feel the 964 is a bit too old now.

Is the GT2 alot rarer than the GT3 RS? (Anyone know the UK RHD production figures?)

Regards
Mart

Here you go:

996 GT3 RS
2003 25
2004 92
Total 117

996 GT2
2001 16
2002 66
2003 31
2004 16
Total 129

Thanks
:D
So the 996 GT3 RS rarer than th GT2, I'm assuming these are the OPC RHD figures?

Soooo onto the question of price...

What price should I expect to pay for an 04 plate RS with 12k on the clock.
Anything in particular in terms of factory options I should either avoid or look for? (think about re-sale value in 5years time)
Any merits in buying privately over buying at a dealer price wise?

Regards
Mart

Mart - Yes they are OPC sold RHD cars. Might be a few 2005 missing, but not many.

I would say you are looking at £63-65K for a good RS. Bear in mind there are a few about that have had a hard life. I would be looking at 8K miles if I was you, unless you know the history.

Poon has just bought one, worth asking what he paid for his. Essential options are air conditioning and possibly litronic headlamps. One of the guys with an RS will be able to comment better.

good RS's are circa £65k dependent on mileage and history, poor ones low £60's late £50's.

GT2 vs GT3RS is a non existant arguement as its like saying caterham vs nissan skyline (ok maybe not so extreme) but you get my point.

I don't think either will depreciate too much further, but you have to ask WHY are you buying a GT3RS/GT2????

Depreciation wise

GT3RS is an RS

Gt2 has spunked tons in depreciation already.

My money will always be on normally aspirated track focussed cars, your decision should be based on what you prefer, if you are worried about your wallet buy a Kia!

I've heard it said there are quite a few poor ones out there and I realize the RS's have been purchased buy the well heel'd as just track day toys.

Anything in particular that will show up wear and tear quickly if they're abused?

I know the ceramic brake discs are being changed for steel's once they crack, but that dosent bother me too much.

Mart

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back