Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Why oh why...

Rob J

Singapore
...well picked up a gorgeous set of BBS alloys Saturday, gonna run down & get some tyres fitted tomorrow....just thought better check I have the tools to change wheels over....& what do I find..... think I've got half a tool kit missing. What should my toolkit contain? I appear to have the locking wheel nut adaptor (phew), nothing for the other nuts, no jack, nothing to put the nut adaptor on, but do have a stainless bar threaded at on end with a hole in the other. Help anyone....cheapest fix to this? I'm sure I can get something from Porsche tomorrow but it will no doubt cost an arm & a leg.... :evil: :x

How about taking the wheels to the tyre place in the RR, go home, come back with the 3, get wheels changed in the garage, then come back later with the RR to collect the old wheels. Then sort out the tool kit later in your own time!

To change wheels yourself you need one torque wrench, one 19mm socket, one locking wheel nut adapter (which you have) plus one jack.

Even if you had the correct bits in the tool kit it's only a simple box socket and lever arm and no way of knowing how tight you are doing them up. Only really good enough for emergency change at side of road.

It's worth getting the above list if you want to do them yourself on a failry regular basis (say for cleaning etc). It also makes changing at side of road much easier.

Ian.

ian_uk said:
To change wheels yourself you need one torque wrench, one 19mm socket, one locking wheel nut adapter (which you have) plus one jack.

Even if you had the correct bits in the tool kit it's only a simple box socket and lever arm and no way of knowing how tight you are doing them up. Only really good enough for emergency change at side of road.

It's worth getting the above list if you want to do them yourself on a failry regular basis (say for cleaning etc). It also makes changing at side of road much easier.

Ian.
Cheers Ian, sounds best route, Halfords here I come....

The halford Torque Wrench is quite good - it is actually a Teng and does a great job. Make sure you get a 19mm Hex bolt (ie six sides) as the ones wil 18 + teeth have a habit of stripping the bolts.

As Ian says - this makes it loads easier to to the job.

Sounds a bit like me Rob.....when I went to Llandow someone tyold me I needed my towing eye and I enquired as to where it might be.....was told the toolkit and had to ask where one might find such a thing.........only to find it was there, untouched.......

Hope you get it sorted.........

Is Spa anywhere near Gert's ?

It'll get sorted no problems.....only problem is I have to visit Chaveley to get the tyres fitted :lol:

Torque settings for the bolts anyone??

Rob J said:
It'll get sorted no problems.....only problem is I have to visit Chaveley to get the tyres fitted :lol:

So when are you coming Rob and where exactly in Chavley ? Time for a beer ?

uuf361 said:
Rob J said:

So when are you coming Rob and where exactly in Chavley ? Time for a beer ?

Horsham Scottie & early morning..so no beers..

Ah, Chavley South West.......we'll have to get you down one night soon for Chavley Tapas and drinks Rob......

Rob J said:
...well picked up a gorgeous set of BBS alloys Saturday, gonna run down & get some tyres fitted tomorrow....just thought better check I have the tools to change wheels over....& what do I find..... think I've got half a tool kit missing. What should my toolkit contain? I appear to have the locking wheel nut adaptor (phew), nothing for the other nuts, no jack, nothing to put the nut adaptor on, but do have a stainless bar threaded at on end with a hole in the other. Help anyone....cheapest fix to this? I'm sure I can get something from Porsche tomorrow but it will no doubt cost an arm & a leg.... :evil: :x

what do these wheels look like - was thinking about getting a spare set

richardofengland said:
Rob J said:

what do these wheels look like - was thinking about getting a spare set

Richard if you check out the Carnewal website they have examples on there.

Stainless bolt threaded with hole in is wheel mounting guide - should be 2 of those in the kit but I don't think socket, wheel wrench or jack are included any more to avoid liability claims from peeps trying to change their own wheels. :roll:
If you buy a 19mm socket then do get one of those thin ones with rubber protection coating to avoid damage to wheels & wheel nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back