Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

which navigation / head unit is best?

tim993

Folks

The TT is in for it's audio upgrade this week, but I can't decide between Becker Cascade Pro or JVC KD-NX901. Does anyone have experience of either / have an opinion?

all the best

tim

tim993 said:
Folks

The TT is in for it's audio upgrade this week, but I can't decide between Becker Cascade Pro or JVC KD-NX901. Does anyone have experience of either / have an opinion?

all the best

tim

sundeep has the becker. Guessing it looks more factory.

Thanks G. There was another 993 in which had just had speakers / amp upgrade and that had an older model Becker which looked / sounded good. However JVC do a DAB add-on, whereas Becker do not... Just trying to weigh up the options!

tim

A friend of mine with a GT2 has got a Pioneer AV somrthing or other in his. The screen folds out of the head unit and gives a decent sized screen for the sat nav, rather than just the radio type display. They aren't cheap but it is the dogs danly bits.

problem with a 993 is the radio is set so far into the dash, that a flip out screen would not have enough clearance - mores the pity - as you are right they are the best. The three options I have looked at are:

1. single DIN head unit with integrated navigation (neat, but means a very small screen)
2. portable unit that clips on a bracket that is suckered to the windscreen (fiddly / exposed powere cable / does not look the part)
3. cutom made housing for a built in nav screen and hide the processor away somewhere in the car. (you lose the original look of the dash)

I have gone for option 1. I had hoped a JVC KD-NX5000 unit would fit (this has a fairly decent size full colour screen, for a single DIN unit), but this unit sits so far proud of the dash it would foul the 4 knobs above the radio. This leaves just Becker and another JVC unit, i think as the only viable options...

tim993 said:
problem with a 993 is the radio is set so far into the dash, that a flip out screen would not have enough clearance - mores the pity - as you are right they are the best.

Tim,
I researched this a while ago when I was looking for a 1din system for my old 993. The Z-flip mechanism by Kenwood works perfectly well on the 993's recessed dash. The slide mechanism slides out far enough before tilting the screen up, so that the screen will clear the upper dash ledge.

Have a look at:
http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/multimedia/multimedia/KVT-829DVD/details/

IIRC, any Kenwood with the Z-flip should work. Brilliant all-in-one units that rate higher than the Pioneers in back-toback tests.

Time the latest Becker Cascade 7941/7944 are the best IMHO for the single DIN route and they have everything bar overview maps

although pricey at £750-900 for the unit

cascade.jpg

with that Porsche look, works very will in the GT3

Hi PolarExpress.
That is very interesting. Did you actually try this out in the car - ie it definitely works - not just in theory? Also, does the front panel clear the knobs above the radio slot - these too seem to be nicely angled to potentially get in the way! I don't mean to sound like a sceptic or anything - I just want to be sure!
cheers
tim

tim993 said:
Hi PolarExpress.
That is very interesting. Did you actually try this out in the car - ie it definitely works - not just in theory? Also, does the front panel clear the knobs above the radio slot - these too seem to be nicely angled to potentially get in the way! I don't mean to sound like a sceptic or anything - I just want to be sure!
cheers
tim

I saw one of the Kenwoods in a demo 993 about 18months ago where it worked fine. I noticed that the new/current range says "improved Z-flip". I'm not sure what this means, but I wonder if it means the mechanism has changed enough to not work in a 993? If you like the spec of the units, it may be worth heading to a pro-car-audio place which carries the kenwood and I'm sure they would be willing to test the install as long as you pay (refundable if it doesn't fit properly!).

Thanks - that does sound promising. I just sent an email to the guy whose firm the car is with. They are a professional outfit and do a lot of high-end audio and navigation installations. I've yet to settle on the exact spec - but we have agreed the basics for amp / speakers / locations / etc. I expect he would get a unit in on spec - he was willing to do this with the JVC, but after taking careful measurements found it was too bulky... Fingers crossed.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

You may also want to search Rennlist. I was alerted to the Kenwood range by other Rennlisters who had posted similar Q&As.

thanks polarexpress (aka zoomzoom!), but nothing on Rennlist that I could find - except your post alerting them to the Kenwood Z-flip! There are pictures of installs that lose the centre air vents, to give clearnce for the screen - but I don't want to do that. It would be nice to find a picture of a car with this Kenwood in and the screen deployed. Anyhow, I'll let you know how it goes next week.
thanks again
tim

I have just fitted a becker cascade and I am delighted with it. It looks in keeping with the dash and is easy to use with a great sound once surround sound is selected. An ipod connector can be added for £20 from ebay in Germany. Continental speed camera locations :D can be added for £25, an updated disc with UK cameras is due...don't know when. :D

the Cascade is a tempting unit, i agree. my car should be ready next week - hopefully with something similar!
all the best
tim

admin said:
Time the latest Becker Cascade 7941/7944 are the best IMHO for the single DIN route and they have everything bar overview maps

although pricey at £750-900 for the unit

cascade.jpg

with that Porsche look, works very will in the GT3

SD your evil for showing that to me now i have the crazy idea of fitting it to my turbo and the turbos becker to the rsr

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back