Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 RS £5 bet on this question?

Tiptronic

Banned
Can you help me with this one,

Mick (butzi) believes that his car has electronic brake distrubution, when it senses the wheels spinning, and can brake the wheels independantly, says it is in his handbook.

However I believe only the C4 and the TT had this,

does anyone know the awnser, I could be £5 poorer or richer

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141436

sounds as though you wouldn't need it on the fronts as they won't spin in a rear wheeled car?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141437

I have never read in any of the mags, or books that it has ABD, just going to the DATA book now

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141445

just been through the official data book, and there is no mention of ABD for the RS at all, only for the tt, and the C4S

there maybe some confusion on the option codes, but never ever heard of the RS having a traction control system, which is what ABD, is

I know it has LSD

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141447

Nope Daz, it definitely has both. Below taken from 1996 Tequipment catalogue. ABD & LSD standard on C4S, TT & RS:

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141454

so does this mean that the RS has a sensor which brakes different wheels when it senses loss of grip,

because if it does, it doesnt have an off switch, and if it does, surely the purist would have gone nuts,

also no mention in the book and none in any mags, just been looking through all the RS buying guides I have from the mags over the last couple of years

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141455

Electronic Brake Distribution -

Say a Car is on a road with patchy ice, you have to brake, and one wheel is on the ice and one is not.. EBD is work out which will needs more pressure to keep the vehicle in a stright line..

Class dismissed ! - :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141456

Feck knows Daz!

I don't think the system is sophisticated enough to brake individual wheels, but may vary braking force front to rear depending on load??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141458

I think that this system is just ABS, not the ABD that the tt has,

otherwise I would have read about it,

Dan I know what ABD is, just qualifying with regards the RS

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141463

All 993 come standard w/ ABS 5

ABS5/ABD was an option, it only works below 70 kmh, it's purpose is to emulate a LSD, by engaging the brake at the spinning wheel thus transfering more drive torque to the other wheel. There is also a thermal overide feature to prevent overheating the brakes.

It is a good option to have because it comes w/ 4 channel ABS rather than stock 3 channel;

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141464

Looks pretty clear from the catalogue thats its standard

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141465

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 917k on 13 May 2007

Looks pretty clear from the catalogue thats its standard
Exactly! :roll:

So what's the difference between 4 and 3 channel ABS then?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141467

well looks like I am wrong,

no prob, £5 for mick

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141469

Think 3 channel ABS has one modulation circuit for front left wheel, one for front right wheel and a shared circuit for the two rear wheels (ie the rears are controlled by ABS as one). 4 channel ABS gets rid of shared rear circuit and induvidually controls rear left and rear right wheels.

Because ADB uses the ABS sensors to control braking of a rear spinning wheel it needs a 4 channel ABS to work.

Still suprised the RS would have ADB though as it does the same job as an LSD (and not as well as a LSD). The Techquipment catalogue is not clear in the way it reads IMO so your fiver could be safe yet.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 141478

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back