Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil meter fluctuation

Maxie

Yas Marina
Hi all - can anyone enlighten me on the following phenomenon on my car: at idle, my oil meter (that's the far right half-moon dial) moves to the middle of the screen suggesting I am half-full of oil. However, on the move, the needle moves up almost all the way to the top suggesting the car is full of oil.

- Why does it do that?

- Does anyone else's 996 (or 99x for that matter) do this as well?

I just noticed it this weekend gone.

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139818

It's not oil level it is oil pressure and from what you are describing it sounds perfectly normal to me.

However make sure you check your oil level regularly with either the dipstick or the electronic meter via the OBC.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139819

As Dave says, completely normal. You will also find its high up near 5 until the engine warms up. Once warm, normal is around 2/3 increasing with revs.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139821

I hope you don't stall the car, you'll be thinking you're out of oil :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139824

Thanks for answering a question I had on my 997 also.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139825

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jamie on 08 May 2007

Thanks for answering a question I had on my 997 also.

Jamie The above does not apply to 997's 997's must have a steady oil pressure with no fluctuation at all.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139827

Fluctuating oil pressure in a 997 indicates that the driver is out of condition and drinks like a girl :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139828

drink more and you may ketchup

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139838

D'oh!! :oops:
Should have RTFM as you might have suggested otherwise....! Thanks Dave! You also had me believe your explanation for Jamie's 997 if I hadn't gone on to read your next post! (I am sure Jamie doesn't drink like a girl though). :wink:

~ Maxie :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139850

I find the oil pressure on mine fluctuates on the move- it waves about a bit at a light throttle at under 3k rpm, but when at higher revs it seems to settle down. Hope its not systemic of a blow-up... :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139875

Robert I was always looking at the gauge on my 996 targa almost to the point of distraction but after a while realised it was absolutely fine moving up and down. I guess the time to worry is when the needle sits at the bottom of the gauge on 0.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139878

I thought it was a little game that Porsche put in to keep us amused? I try and score over 5points all the time. You can do this by really riding the clutch and revving at 7k non-stop. I have some really good high scores so far.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139881

Glad it's normal - Mine will sit at 5 when cold then drop to 2 bar at idle when hot and vary inbetween.

Does everyone use Mobil 1 0w 40 in their 996s?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139883

This is the recomended oil isn't it Stats? I don't know what's in mine as I got mine from an indie in March.

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139893

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by stats007 on 08 May 2007

Glad it's normal - Mine will sit at 5 when cold then drop to 2 bar at idle when hot and vary inbetween.

Does everyone use Mobil 1 0w 40 in their 996s?

Thats the one I use :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 139896

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back