Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mk.1 GT3 Sport Design Wheels refurb.

Tony Cocks

Monza
/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/View%20of%20FOS.JPG
A
A few weeks ago I purchased a set of genuine BBS sport design wheels as fitted to my Mk. 1 GT3 from a forum member.

The wheels were in need of a refurb. due to the usual corrosion problem , and apart from some very minor scuffs on the outer edge of two of the wheels, were otherwise sound.

My experiences in carrying out the work, and a few problems encountered on the way may be of assistance to anyone contemplating a similar venture.

Articles placed on several Porche forums produced various suggestions . Some recommended spraying with paint after shot blasting etc. whilst others said the correct route was to split the wheels , have the rims anodised and the centres powder coated. I was keen to have the centres black and the rims silver.

Quotes from companies prepared to carry out the work ranged from £500 to £1000 plus VAT.

Firstly however , I split the wheels. Each is held together with 20 spline headed stainless steel bolts. I utilised a cam belt tensioner tool I used years ago on Ford OHC engines.The bolts came out fairly easily and it was apparent that whilst some had locking compound on them , some had none at all. The rims were "welded" to the centres with corrosion , and a few sharp taps with a plastic headed mallet were needed to seperate them.

A local engineering company ( Smith and Yeo )carried out a small reemedial aliminium weld on one of the scuffs and polished out the other.

Having seperated all four, I visisted a plating works here in Plymouth, and discussed anodising the rims with the Manager. He said he was more than willing to do as I suggested but felt that avenue would not cure the problem of furthur corrosion over the long term, as the rims are alloy and the centres are steel. A chemical reaction takes place between the two apparently. He suggested having both centres and rims powder coated, and recommended Steve Leach, SL Powder Coatings ,who operates on an industrial estate on the outskirts of Plymouth Tel. No. 01752-696970.

Steve was MORE than helpful, and agreed to shot blast all parts, and powder coat as requested for a total of £303.50 includidng VAT. He advised a 70 % gloss finish for the centres and said he would try to match the colour of the GT3 (Arctic Silver) for the rims.

I collected the rims 4 days later. To say I was delighted was an understatement.He had done an absolutely first class job.

Then came the first problem when I decided to "retap" with a 9mm tap all the bolt holes to clean them out prior to re-assembly. The locking compound had really hardened and had the effect of displacing the tap on its downward journey.I ruined the threading on 3 of the bolt holes before I gave up and took all four rims down to Smith and Yeo, the engineers. Terry spent several hours fitting heli coils to the holes I had ruined and retapping the other 77. Total cost for this and the remedial welding previously mentioned was £80.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I had contacted Chris the parts man at my local OPC in Exteter. He very kindly sent me down four old plastic wheel centres minus the enamel crests. I sprayed each centre with plastic primer , then with semi matt black paint, finishing off with several coats of lacquer.Total cost £14-50. I had purchased four new wheel crests for £33-75 including postage from a trader in Germany. Details on this e bay link, 220091260391. I glued these on to the wheel centres using Wynns instant gasket maker as recommended by Wayne, one of the OPC technicians . I have lost several crests in the past, and have tried all sorts of glues/silicones etc. all to no effect. Wayne assures me Wynns will do the trick.

Terry the engineeer recommended applying Loctite 247 to each bolt prior to re-assembling the wheels. Cost of Loctite £11-71.

A forum member recommended that each bolt should should have a torque of 15 lbs.foot applied . Re-assembly of the wheels was straightforward, but one point worth bearing in mind is that the centres have to be pulled down evenly , i.e. top/bottom, side/side.

Having re-assembled all four rims, my local ATS fitted four Michelin Pilot Sport N1 rated tyres at a total coat of £670-00 including balancing and new valves.

The total cost of the exercise was £1513.46 which includudes the cost of the wheels.

The wheels are now fitted to the GT3 and I think the car looks stunning.

I have added some photos of the various stages

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/Close%20up%20of%20wheel%201.JPG

of the exercise, and apologise in advance , photography not being one of my strong points.

Apolgies also if this item is long winded, but if anyone is contemplating having a go, please do contact me if you need any advice or assistance.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/Powder%20coated%20rim%20and%20wheel.JPG

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/GT3%20wheels%20before%201.JPG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138026

Well the finished article look great Tony!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138030

Job well done! I don't normally like two tone wheels but in your case, this is exceptional. They suit the car very well and a good idea to match the rims with the body colour. I think you may have just started a trend.....what do you think Dan...? :wink:

~ Maxie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138035

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Tony ***** on 02 May 2007

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/Close%20up%20of%20wheel%201.JPG

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/Powder%20coated%20rim%20and%20wheel.JPG
They look so good... (I may be on the look out now for a set - :wink: )

One question - What sealer did you use when putting the inner wheel back onto the rim ? (or did you just bolt them down dry?)

You must be proud Tony, they look very nice... And on a Silver GT3 (the best colour).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138037

Daniel, I discussed the question of sealing the rims from the centres with Steve Leach.

He advised that powder coating is a hard plastic and very durable coating which would in effect seal the two metal faces. I did consider spraying the mating faces with waxoil but decided against that after speaking to Steve.

Time will tell of course !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138041

Looks very good Tony, very interesting project. I'm thinking of doing something similar to a set of BBS racing wheels. I'm getting them new soon, as the rims are unfinished polished alu, with painted alu centre, I'm thinking of taking it apart and having the rims anodised and repaint the centre a different colour.

In your search for the refurb, did you come across any opinion regarding anodise vs powder coating, as to which one's tougher? Also, do you have to sandblast the original paint away before you can powder coat it, or can you just take off a bit and powder coat on top?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138045

Tony they look lovely, Think I may have a look at doing a Dark Grey set....

Do you have any other pictures of the car ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138046

The "dark grey" is what I'm after as well, I think BBS called it Diamond Black?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138048

I will be on the look out for a set.. do they have to be 8" at the front ? as I can only find 7.5" ?

And what is every ones views on Slate/dark grey wheels and grey door mirrors ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138051

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 02 May 2007

grey door mirrors??
Hmm.... I think it would be nice !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138057

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Daniel on 02 May 2007

I will be on the look out for a set.. do they have to be 8" at the front ? as I can only find 7.5" ?
Daniel, 8J is for the GT3 the 7.5J wheels were for the Boxster I think.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138063

Butzi, The Manager of the plating company I visited in Plymouth advised me that anodising the rims and powder coating the centres would not cure the problem of reaction between the two metals over the long term. His opinion was that powder coating both parts was the answer
. I must say that the powder coat finish does seem very hard and feels "plasticy" to the touch.

All parts were shot blasted back to bare metal prior to treatment.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138070

Daniel, Would you like pics. of the car with the old wheels or the new ones ?

You may be interested to know that the car was originally purchased by the late Richard Burns, World rally Champion, who unfortunately died of a brain tumour a couple of years back. The car had just 5000 miles on the clock when I bought it. Ony has 12500 now , and still looks brand new !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138101

I would like both pic's !! Is she a Club Sport or Comfort ?

Mine is a 99/V and she has just turned 17,000 miles.. I like the history of yours being Richard Burns old car !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138105

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back