Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

early 70s 991 buy tips

longmooie

Hi there just after some helpful buying tips for a early 70s 911 targa, ive seen one i like the look of and im hoping to view/buy next weekend if its sound, anything i should look out for? im new to porsches but i do own a 52 beetle so i know my way around the engine bay etc

Thanks

Typeo 911 not 991 lol

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134397

Rust, matching chasis/engine numbers, any proof of provenance TBH but I'm no expert on early cars

Best bet is to look here IMO

http://www.ddk-online.com/

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134399

Well, I'm a huge fan of the Early 70's Targa's :)

There are a couple of points - first, there were not that many RHD produced - and very, very few have survived - making a RHD Targa a rare old thing.

Secondly - the Targa had to be reinforced to cope with the lack of structure from the roof - so there's even more metal to rot - and pre-76 when the cars were galvanized, oh boy do they rot :eek:

In particular water enters the drain channels at the bottom of the B pillars and into the scuttle panel above the engine - unfortunately when the rot gets in there it's hugely expensive to repair. In honest truth, a Targa restoration will never be a worthwhile excercise as far as money is concerned.

Let me know which one you're thinking about looking at and I'll see if I can guide you - there were special trim materials used on certain Targa models which are no longer available - so be careful what you're buying.

BUT a well restored / original pre-74 911 Targa with the roof out is a wonderful experience :)

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134444

longmooie,

me and you should compare notes i am in a similar position, looking for my first 911 (Targa) just got rid of my much loved 66 Ghia

Migration info. Legacy thread was 138343

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back