Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Starting issue - possibly no fuel supply

Gary Levy

My 3.2 Carrera (1989) has always been a magnificnt first time starter, however long it has been laid up. This year I am unable to start the car and the problem appears to be a complete lack of fuel reaching the engine.

The motor cranks over at full speed, the battery is new, fuel is showing half full. There is no smell of flooded engine no matter how long the engine is cranked and where the throttle pedal is held.

Can anyone throw some light or ideas on how to proceed please?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132558

Is the fuel pump working?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132565

Carl

Thank you, this is clearly a sensible suggestion, how can I test for the pump working? There is a gentle whirring noise when the ignition is turned on coming from the dashboard area [nearside], is that the fuel pump?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133320

Unfortunatly my manual doesn't cover your year

Certain makes of carbs dictate either electric or mechanical fuel pumps.

I'm sure one of our resident experts will be along in a minute

Good luck Gary.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133472

Gary,

Daft thought - try undoing the fuel cap - on early 911's which have been left a long time, the fuel system pressurizes with evaporation, leading to the fuel pump being able to pull fuel through.

There SHOULD be a breather pipe which prevents this but if the car has had bodywork at some time, this can be blocked or not refitted properly.

HTH

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133562

Philip

Yes, fuel vacuum was one of my first thoughts. All the pipes seem to be ok and not kinked, there was no whoosh of air as I took the filler cap from the car.

Four weeks ago I did manage to get the car to start. After days of just turning over on the starter, I decided to tap the tank and the big plastic box [fuel filter?] with a rubber mallet and the car started on the very next turn of the key. Of course no such luck since despite also trying to bounce the car on its suspension.!

Just a quick thank you to Carl, I think the car has electronic fuel injection. It is the very last of the [1989 'f' reg] fixed rear wing cars before the rise in engine size from 3.2 litres.

All ideas gratefully received.

I am fairly certain that the car is fundamentally sound, just deprived of any fuel. It is regularly services depite mileage of around 1,000 - 2,000 miles a year, usually long runs [40 miles+]. The car has just 70,000 miles on the clock and is a soft-top [not Targa] convertible if this is relevant.

GARY

Migration info. Legacy thread was 133662

SOLUTION

There is a relay under the passenger seat that controls the ECU and fuel pump. Apparantly it is a common fault as cars get older.

If your 911 turns over on the starter and seems to be starved of fuel, the solution is possibly a £20 relay the size of a match box under the seat near the passenger door.

Car starts first time like a dream, just as always.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134045

Great news Gary glad its sorted.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134086

Gary, i had the same problem with my 3.2 carrera, i did bye a new relay to fix the problem,i also took the old relay apart and re-flowed all the solderd joints and retested relay off the car this fixed the problem, it is now in the glove box as a spare (this relay is renowned for poor solder joints)
i know a lot of the 3.2 owners carry a spare.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134088

Gary, glad you sorted it........the infamous DME relay problem.....as Clive says it is adviseable to carry a spare (note to self - get one!)....apparently there is a date of manufacture stamped on them and if over 5 years old they should be replaced!.....mine was replaced a couple of years ago so fingers crossed and all that!..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134090

Found spare relay in my tool roll must have been put in by last owner.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 134096

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back