Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CREAKING DRIVING ME MAD!

Porsche Events

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

Got a terrible creaking noise from the front drivers side, most noticable at slow speeds and when the steering wheel is wiggled when stationery. Creaking comes from drivers side. Also can be heard when I push down on the wing to compress the suspension.

Anoying thing is i can't tell where it's coming from cause when the car is jacked up the creaking is gone.

any ideas?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131840

If it creaks / squeeks when the suspension is compressed, it could be bushes. It was on mine. Didn't notice it when the car was stationary tho.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131843

Hi John,

is it a creak or more of a rattle? And is it from cold or only when warmed up? I have a similar sounding issue that has been a real pain to track down - back into OPC next week for third attempt after replacement of lower control arm didn't solve the issue(this commonly gives problems - may be something for you to check).

Also, have you tried putting on full lock and grabbing hold of the tie rod and giving it a good waggle (I'd recommend being stationary for this one :wink: ). There's seems to be some movement in mine so had it replaced but noise is still there so wondering if it's coming from the steering rack end.

Please let me know if you have any luck tracking your issue down and I'll report back any findings next week!

Chris

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131862

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the pointers. The creak is definately a CREAK - sounds like a rusty old hinge!

Its there no matter cold or warm.

I've had a look again tonight and i can feel the creak through the lowest and biggest arm. There are 2 arms at the bottom which meet each other in a triangle shape, i think it's the one with the bottom ball joint.

I've held every arm in sight including the anti-roll bar and track rod end and when the wheel is wiggled I can only feel it in the bottom arm so i guess it's that. Should be an easy fix so i'll get one from Euro Car Parts and fit it at the weekend. Will let you know how i get on.

Cheers Paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131879

John, what age and mileage is your car ? and C2 or C4 ? Cab ?

and avoid Euro CP's !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131882

It's a '99 (T) 95k miles and a C2

I've had many parts from ECP with no problems - whats wrong with them?

By the way, I have the Porsche workshop manual (the one OPC uses) and the arm is the lower control arm, it's got a bearing and bush in it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131903

Hi John,

lower control arm didn't work for me BUT mine is most definitely a rattle that appears only when the suspension is warmed up so unlikely we have the same issue.

Have also used Euro CP (once) with no probs, what's the story?!?

Chris ('99 C2 with 55k miles)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131970

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back