Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitted my 3-Spoke Steering Wheel

Parts

Banned
As so many people have said changing the steering wheel really is a doddle. I am really pleased with the difference it has made to the interior and to the driving experience (with the thicker wheel).

Has also lifted the interior a bit as the Savannah needs another colour to break it up.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/interior(6).JPG

Just have to work out how to fit the black dash strips now.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129819

Nice job! The black trim certainly lifts the savannah.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129823

Thanks for your help on the wheel Robert. Reading your account made me hapy to have a go at it. Only took 20 minutes in total, and no airbag in the face! lol

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129825

looks smart So Poo.

Are the dash strips vertical though? remember horizontal stripes are not slimming :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129828

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Tim Storey on 03 April 2007

looks smart So Poo.

Are the dash strips vertical though? remember horizontal stripes are not slimming :)
Us rugby boys don't worry about slimming, vertical stripes are for football tarts! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129846

oh darling we all need the help of a vertical stripe and some rouched pleats as we approach middle age.... :oops:

<stopsnowbeforegettingcaughtoutbyarealdesignertype>

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129861

lol - you big girl!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129948

Can you post on here exactly how you did it please? I would like to change mine but am scared of doing it!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129952

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 03 April 2007

Now that is much harder than it should be and having read ahow to I wouldnt fancy trying it myself...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129953

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 917k on 03 April 2007

Previous poster said:

Now that is much harder than it should be and having read ahow to I wouldnt fancy trying it myself...
I have read that too, but according to Mark G on here it can be done without damaging them with patience.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129958

OK. I'll try and do it step by step.

1) Disconnect Battery with key in ignition at Point 1.2) Turn the wheel so it is at 90 degress to normal.3) From the top remove the first screw that holds in the airbag (T30 Torx)4) Rotate the wheel so you can access the other screw5) From the top remove the second screw that holds in the airbag (T30 Torx)6) Remove the airbag and disconect the electrial connector7) Disconnect the ground wires that go to the steering wheel (You may not have these as mine was tiptronic.8) Undo the nut that holds the steering wheel on (24mm)9) The wheel is held on by two small clips, but it comes off with a quick pull.10) Pull the new wheel and tighten the nut.11) Connect the electrics and put he airbag in place.12) Tighten the two Screws that hold the airbag in place13) Reconnect the Battery.

Done - takes around 20 minutes. I am happy to bring the tools to one of the events if anyone wants to change it there. It really is that easy.

Cheers,

Chris

Migration info. Legacy thread was 129959

Thanks also Chris, I'm now tempted to change mine. The cost of the airbag makes it a hard decision though. After seeing that red & black steering wheel on the Gembella GT550 in last months Total 911, I wonder if my red airbag in a black wheel would look OK?

The dash strips are easy to change - honest. Infact I changed mine twice as I only found out I was supplied a LH set when it was too late !

Does anyone fancy some red strips? - they might look cool in a black dash.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130011

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 917k on 03 April 2007

Previous poster said:

can of spray paint ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130025

Previous poster said:
1) Disconnect Battery with key in ignition at Point 1.
2) Turn the wheel so it is at 90 degress to normal.
3) From the top remove the first screw that holds in the airbag (T30 Torx)
4) Rotate the wheel so you can access the other screw
5) From the top remove the second screw that holds in the airbag (T30 Torx)
6) Remove the airbag and disconect the electrial connector
7) Disconnect the ground wires that go to the steering wheel (You may not have these as mine was tiptronic.
7b) Mark the centre point of the wheel

8) Undo the nut that holds the steering wheel on (24mm)
9) The wheel is held on by two small clips, but it comes off with a quick pull.
10) Pull the new wheel and tighten the nut.
11) Connect the electrics and put he airbag in place.
12) Tighten the two Screws that hold the airbag in place
13) Reconnect the Battery.

I put that bit in red it because turning the wheel to get it on and off I lost the straight ahead position and had to start all over :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 130041

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back