Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cleaning leather

nic_

Banned
Anyone and good tips for cleaning linen leather?

Have some marks on the seats from the roof leaking.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128441

Having just done the Ecru in my M3 before I sold it (with Ecru which is similar to linen) I would suggest Gliptone leather cleaner.

Its relatively inexpensive and quite gentle but certainly cleans well, if you then use their conditioner the real leather smell comes back too.

I got mine from here

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/acatalog/Leather_Cleaners.html

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128451

Apart from calling in G.

My truck has light grey leather and I clean it in much the same way we do horses tack. Liquid saddle soap to do the clean and then a good quality leather conditioner. Most of the good detailing companies make a version or for a fraction of the price visit your local saddlery. The Zymol stuff (Treat) does make the leather smell reall nice though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128452

Liquid Leather does a good range of leather care and restoration kits.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128453

Meths. You'd be surprised how much dirt it lifts off! You have to do this before applying leather dye.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128456

Wouldn't meths dry up the leather too much, or even lifts the colour that's already in the leather?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128457

A tip I had from (I think) the chap who covered the custom leather seats in Mrs F's car was if you want to clean really dirty seats, microwave damp towels until they're steaming hot, stick 'em on the seats and it draws all the muck out, then use nourisher. Oven gloves are advised for handling the hot steamy towels.

That said Nicola your seats seem OK, so this would probably be over the top.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128474

Nah... they are awful... I'll have a look and see what cleaning products I've got... I know I've some Zymol treat and some halfrauds leather cleaner somewhere.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128476

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nicola on 28 March 2007

Nah... they are awful... I'll have a look and see what cleaning products I've got... I know I've some Zymol treat and some halfrauds leather cleaner somewhere.
I've got some Zymol knocking about the garage if you run out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128479

now the question is... do I clean seats or the Dirty girl this evening?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128480

Meths does dry it up a bit but it really does clean the leather up. You just need to massage in conditioner afterwards.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128482

I remember seeing a thread on leather cleaners somewhere, PH I think, about two months ago......I remember Auto Express had done a survey on said items and 'star rated them....From memory Mer and Meguiars came out very well, better than Zymol and Gliptone, but I guess you pays your money and takes your choice!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128483

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nicola on 28 March 2007

now the question is... do I clean seats or the Dirty girl this evening?
I'll just stand outside the office for 5 minutes with pine cone and seaweed to get the short range forecast....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128488

I've used Mer leather cleaner in the past with decent results - think it has built in conditioner too from memory - about £10 from the old halfrauds

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128495

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Fraser on 28 March 2007

I'll just stand outside the office for 5 minutes with pine cone and seaweed to get the short range forecast....
Still dry.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 128498

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back