Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fuel & ECU

Roadhog1

Trainee
This thread has prob been done 100 times, apologies for that - but I wanted to ask the experienced owners.... what grade of Petrol you use. My manual says run on 98, but the dealer (non-OPC) but experienced seller says "just stick unleaded 95 in it - you won't notice the difference" I know the ECU will adapt using anti-knock technology, but whats the views?? If I run on V-Power (for example) will I notice sharper response or it just not noticeable?

Also, I was reading about the ECU needing to "learn" if a mod is made to induction or exhaust and perhaps using different fuel?? Meaning that the ECU takes time to adapt over some miles before it optimises settings for the particular adjustments? Can anyone verify this or is it BS!!!

Thanks....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126677

The ECU 'crap' is true! It's adaptive! If you want a quick change disconnect the battery for 10 mins, this'll force a 'relearn'.

I run V-Power or 97 Super, if I'm forced to use 95 octane I only go for a BP/Esso/Total et al.

You will notice the difference, the car runs better, you get better MPG and your smile lasts longer!

Damian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126705

V-Power whenever possible.
BP Ultimate otherwise.

On high compression ratio engines, the fuel quality makes a BIG difference!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126719

V-power or BP but V-power if at all possible.
You know from the recent problems not to use supermarket fuel.
V-power gives better power and therefore better mpg which offsets the cost difference and the detergents keep the valves clean.
102 octane is being produced and sold in some places so that you can get more power at track days.
Why would you take the opinion of a second hand car salesman over the Porsche research and development engineer who wrote that section of the manual?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126720

Yep - stick Vpower in it if you can. DAz recently said it made 10bhp difference in his GT3.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126769

Cheers Guys.... message is very clear on the fuel ... kinda thought as much from the manual and in fact I have been using V-Power anyway... (used to that from my EVO) but just wanted make sure!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127327

I'm going to jump on this thread. This literally sounds like rocket science to me. Should I be using higher octane fuel in my new 997? I have never used anything other than 95. Are you saying that whilst 97 is more expensive per litre it will cost me less per mile than 95?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127334

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jamie on 23 March 2007

I'm going to jump on this thread. This literally sounds like rocket science to me. Should I be using higher octane fuel in my new 997? I have never used anything other than 95. Are you saying that whilst 97 is more expensive per litre it will cost me less per mile than 95?

Jamie, ask yourself this question, would you eat bargain basement food? No! Feed your car the good stuff!

I did a test 10 years ago with my BMW 328i Coupe Sport and I was getting 10% more miles to the tankful with Super. Try it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127337

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Jamie on 23 March 2007

Jamie - you are buying a £75K car! :wink:
Doing the sums: if you do 10K miles a year, Vpower will only cost you £100 a year more. That's assuming no difference in fuel economy. Not really a lot when you think about it, and the car runs so much sweeter on the good stuff and it is much better for the engine.

A real no-brainer if you ask me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127341

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back