Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1973RSR - Updated 26/04/2007

smtk

Paul Ricard
Threw rain, sleet, wind and snow. I drove down to early911 to check out the Supersport donor car that will be used to make my RSR replica.

The supersport is a tad louder than my turbo on idle, the steering is bloody heavy compared to my TT (No 1 handed 3 pointers then). The gearbox felt a little vague (I think the throw was to long) and no ABS makes you think about how hard one breaks. I only poodled around the farmyard It was very greasy on the local roads and I didn’t know where I was going so thought better of it. Still the car is very sound and I’m sure once its done (and I adjust the seat correctly) it will be a trill to drive and a GT3 eater on the track :p

It will be around 3 weeks till Nick starts on the car and he’s promised to photograph it at every stage. You I’ll be updating this thread as the mile stones are reached. And I’ll keep things like colour a surprise for later! (It’s not red)

Below are some photos of the SS with my TT behind

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/RSR_1.jpg

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/RSR_2.jpg

The following parts will be sold off once work starts
Front bumper
Front wings
Front Bonnet
The whole interior more or less
Carpets
Rear wing
Rear bumper
The rear wheels (there the 9inch ones)
And some items off the engine

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125919

Is it to replace the TT, or are you having both? Tell more about how the heck hae you decided to do that?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125921

looking good Simon looking good,

be a very interesiting project

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125922

How long is it going to take and what if you do not mind my asking is the budget?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125941

I'll be keeping both.

Why have I decided to do this? I want a fun track car, the turbo is too nice for the track and I have pangs of guilt when I get home and wash it.

I was thinking of a 997GT3 but it will loose soooooooooo much money in 2 years and there’s a face lift. Plus I will still feel guilty for tracking it as my only car and they’re too good at what they do. I find my self doing a few MPH over the legal limit to get a buzz in my TT. The GT3’s buzz factor would be a jail time levels and since you’ve met me you’ll know I’m to pretty to go to jail!

I always liked old school pork, but couldn’t justify owning a 2nd one unless it was more hardcore than my very practical everyday TT. Then I sore the early911 lime green 70’s racing machine and got a big woody and after a few inquiries realised I could keep my beloved turbo and have some serious 1970’s racing pork too.

Yes for this money I could get a 964rs or a mk1 GT3, but I’m not going to spend money on a car that doesn’t tickle my fancy or has a ‘history’.

Time will be about 3months for the body and paint and another 2 for the engine.

Budget is less than a 997GT3 but more that a Supersport :p

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125946

makes sense to me,

but then I know you ;)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125949

Good decision Simon, looking forward to seeing it! Should see it before the summer ends?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125954

well maybe.

I might take it to the manthey track day but the engine wont be done by then just the body and paint. We'll see

Migration info. Legacy thread was 125963

Are you sure you want to b4$tardise a classic?

Yup it will look good when it's done, but killing a supersport!!! :roll:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126001

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nicola on 19 March 2007
Are you sure you want to b4$tardise a classic?
Yup it will look good when it's done, but killing a supersport!!! :roll:

I trust Nick Moss' judgement. Taking a 70's 911 would mean a lot of extra expense. Plus it’s a track day toy and pub banter not a show car. I wonder if the PCGB will still have me lol

And I do feel guilty about butchering a very mint SS but Nick explained that it’s a false economy to buy a banger and fix it up

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126009

Nic - I agree with you on the Supersport - looks like a nice car from the pic.

Simon - is it a dog underneath? Cant blame you on going the RSR retro route, hope you have chosen a nice colour and not lime green please??!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126010

Exciting

Hope it all goes well.

Colour, Mmm

Gulf Blue?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126019

bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img");//-->
Simon - great project, looking forward to the pictures as it progresses.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126021

Simon - does i have to be a supersport or would a regular 3.2/SC do ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126024

SS for the body, brakes, sway bars etc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 126077

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back