Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

912E

jh72i

Folks,
Any thoughts on '76 912E ownership? Prices, etc. There is one that I'm interested in but know nothing about owning.
Thanks for any advice.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122929

Philip's only been here five minutes and the bug is beginning to spread ........

Can you get them in speed yellow? :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122930

Hi Anthony. No idea what you're talking about!?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122931

They're a rare and unusual beast - the 912 had been an important 'gap filler' in Porsche's range when launched in 1965 - the concept being to take the four pot engine of the 356 and drop it into a 911 bodyshell.

With the weight of the engine further inboard, many fans claim the handling is better than the 911 of the same period - if a little 'down' on power :)
. I have four friends with 912's and they're all smitten with them.

The 912 took a break in 1970 after the LWB 'non impact bumper' 69 cars which are very unusual - but was reborn to address the fuel crisis in 1976 - and for only one year until the front engined 924 made it into production.

Being fuel injected and with the VW derived 914 'type four' four pot 2.0ltr the '923' carried on where the 914 left off in the model range. It carries more weight than the old 1600cc 912's - but the LWB rides more smoothly and the 2.0ltr is a much torquier engine.

As for price - depending on condition £8,000 to £12,000 as a guide.

There are a couple of 912E fans on the DDK - Nige and Fudgemeister - definitely a proper Porsche though :)
and very rare in this country.

HTH

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122935

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by jh72i on 07 March 2007
Hi Anthony. No idea what you're talking about!?

It's all part of my master plan to convert everyone to the early cars :wink:

BTW - is the car you're looking at the white 912E? If so, it's been owned by a couple of DDK'ers and well known.

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122936

Ah, hi Philip, Anthony begins to make sense. Thanks for the thorough reply. I love a lot of things about these cars but am a novice - although karmann ghia owner so know the vw engines - so should probably approach with caution. How about parts - for such a limited run will I have a problem sourcing parts and expertise?
Thanks again. Both of you.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122938

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by pmjt on 07 March 2007

BTW - is the car you're looking at the white 912E? If so, it's been owned by a couple of DDK'ers and well known.
Now, how would you know that?? How can I find more info about it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122947

Previous poster said:
I love a lot of things about these cars but am a novice - although karmann ghia owner so know the vw engines - so should probably approach with caution. How about parts - for such a limited run will I have a problem sourcing parts and expertise?

As for maintenance, they're basically a 911 so brakes, gear, with a VW Type 4 (used in large numbers of VW commercial and vans) so parts shouldn't be a problem and repairs are very straight forward.

If you're comfortable with working on the Ghia, don't be scared by a 912E - these early Porsche's are very simple cars :)

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122949

Previous poster said:
Now, how would you know that??

'cos there ain't many of them in the UK - I only know of three - a black one (imported by 912UK / Mark), a fudge brown one (Rick / Fudgemeister) and the white car - ex. Nige, new owner only bought it at the end of last year but wife dropped the news there's going to be a new member of their family soon :D

Previous poster said:
Quote: How can I find more info about it?

Drop him a line on the DDK - they're a very friendly bunch - I'm sure Nige who owner her before would be happy to tell you everything he knows.

The community for thes early cars is quite small - so people are happy to talk about them.

HTH

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122951

might not be the same car but thanks for the pointers. I'm a member over at ddk but buggered if i can remember my username :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122954

Previous poster said:
might not be the same car but thanks for the pointers. I'm a member over at ddk but buggered if i can remember my username :)

Send Bootsy an email to '[email protected]' and ask him :D
He's a chilled guy and will be glad to help - he should be able to find it from your email address.

I hope it IS the same car as it was a nice one :)

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122957

I'll throw in another opinion. Early 912s are very nice as you get the classic pre-impact bumper look, the cars are light, beautifully balanced to drive and finally cost a lot less than pre-impact 911s. All in all a lot going for them.

The 76 912 is very rare as stated but other than that what does it have going for it that a mid to late 70s Carrera 3 or SC doesn't? They all have the same impact bumper look but with either a Carrera 3 or SC you get the full 6 cylinder 911 experience for the same price.

All IMO :)

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122960

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ian_uk on 07 March 2007
They all have the same impact bumper look but with either a Carrera 3 or SC you get the full 6 cylinder 911 experience for the same price.

That's a fair point Ian - well made.

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122987

Hey Philip & co. Chalk down another 912E owner!! Thanks for pointing my at DDK.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127665

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by pmjt on 07 March 2007

Previous poster said:

Now, how would you know that??
'cos there ain't many of them in the UK - I only know of three - a black one (imported by 912UK / Mark), a fudge brown one (Rick / Fudgemeister) and the white car - ex. Nige

whats happend to the sunflower?? yellow one that was featured in a few classic mags a year or two back?...........US spec IIRC but with a UK plate

Migration info. Legacy thread was 127722

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back