Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 3.4 quicker than 3.6 C4S?

oliie

Hi all,

I am toying between the purchase of a UK RHD 3.4 996 C2 versus a DE LHD 996 C4S.

I don't normally take magazine statistics as a given, but note that the C4S is listed as slower than a 3.4 996.

Is this a weight issue - and if so why is the C4S so much heavier (granted 4wd etc. but surely this would be countered with higher BHP?). In reality do you think the C4S would provide for a less exciting drive or would it not be noticeable?

Any viewpoints graciously accepted!

Cheers

O.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120646

is the .1 or point 2 of asecond that relevant in modern driving?

You chose the car you want the most, does the widebody do it for you? if so thats what you need, if not go for the RHD car

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120647

Thanks 917k. Agreed the slight time does not make a difference but thought it may in turn affect the characteristic of the car (e.g. power increased to disguise weight = dangerous philosophy!).

I guess looks alone are not enough to justify LHD... although it will be a newer car (£7k more as well). Maybe I should measure the width of my garage as a starting point? ;)

O.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120649

mmm wrong,

depends which mag you read, the definative guide to porkers, gives the 0.1 advantage to the C4S over the 3.4

real world, my C4S was never out dragged by anything other than a tt, or a GT3 and on the ring, was faster than most,

C4S fab car in every respect only thing would put me off is LHD, having driven micks on the weekend, cant say as I liked the experience of being on the wrong side of the car on our side, totally different to the rentals I have had in LHD countries

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120650

7k more, why not get a RHD 3.4 or facelift narrowbodied car?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120651

No way the 3.4 is quicker than the C4S, especially not from 60 - 120mph. I have a 3.4 and have been in a couple of C4Ss.

If it is a weekend car then the LHD would not bother me, not an easy choice.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120658

I suspect the difference is more down to 2WD vs. 4WD than 3.6 widebody vs. 3.4 narrowbody?

4WD will have better performance in bad weather, but C2 will probably beat it in the dry - just!

However, when you are talking about 0.1 seconds that can be down to tyre tread, wind conditions, road grip, or more likely 'driver performance' in the speed of a gear change, or controlling wheelspin on releasing the clutch!

As others have said, drive as many as you can and buy the one you like best - in terms of enjoyment, looks, and condition...

I have to confess I didn't even know the significance of a GT3 when I bought my Aerokit C4 - just fell in love with the look, the spec, the way it drove, and the deal was right at the time! I happen to prefer the styling of pre-facelift cars in general, and the Mk1 GT3 rear spolier in particular!

I'm driving a LHD car at the moment in the UK (Honda CRV with much better visibility than a 911) and wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis - overtaking is really scary!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120665

Forget the numbers - they're almost irrelevant in day to day driving. C2, C4 & C4S are all extremely capable.

Personally, I'd be very wary of LHD - for me I wouldn't get the same enjoyment out of my Porsche if I was sitting on the wrong side. I've driven many times on the continent in a RHD car and overtaking can be a risky occupation.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121180

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

I think I will settle on a pre-facelift 996 - be it C2 or C4. I've only a budget of circa £25k and am hoping to get around a years worth of motoring for 'free' (i.e. no depreciation and running costs covered by company @40p/mile - excluding Insurance).

It seems to be hard to find a well specced car with OPC warranty at this price although this one is high on the list of cars to view:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/139416.htm

However not sure about the colour...!

Thanks again,

O.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121185

That car on PH as you mention above is a lovely car. It has OPC warranty and if I was looking for a car I would buy it. The owner has looked after it and isa well respected 911 owner. Its a good un as they say!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121191

The 3.6 cars are better quality IMO, especially inside.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121200

I agree that the interiors are better quality. I do,howver, disagree on them having better performance. I have driven the 3.6 and a 997S 3.8 and I have to say that I was underwhelmed by both. Now I was not expecting much extra from the 3.6 and actually it was definatly no quicker than mine-I was expecting the 3.8 to be much much faster. But it wasnt. Somehow my 3.4 C2 seems to go like the clappers!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121208

Thanks Philip. The colour isn't quite what I am after and the exhaust sits a bit low (the latter can be fixed); otherwise it does look quite good. If the Insurance company is happy with the exhaust then I will have it inspected for peace of mind :)

On another point... it is a C2, not a C4 but I guess I can live with that! ;) The alternative is this one:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/136690.htm
- and is also a C4 (...and not purple...).

Thanks again :)

O.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121221

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Philip1972 on 28 February 2007

I agree that the interiors are better quality. I do,howver, disagree on them having better performance. I have driven the 3.6 and a 997S 3.8 and I have to say that I was underwhelmed by both. Now I was not expecting much extra from the 3.6 and actually it was definatly no quicker than mine-I was expecting the 3.8 to be much much faster. But it wasnt. Somehow my 3.4 C2 seems to go like the clappers!
I love my 3.4, but the 3.6s really come into there own after 60 mph. The 3.6 is 1.1 seconds quicker to 100mph and 2.2 seonds quicker to 124mph in a C2 vs C2 run.

This is quite amazing since the 0-60mph times are almost identical.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121243

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oliie on 28 February 2007

Thanks Philip. The colour isn't quite what I am after and the exhaust sits a bit low (the latter can be fixed); otherwise it does look quite good. If the Insurance company is happy with the exhaust then I will have it inspected for peace of mind :)

On another point... it is a C2, not a C4 but I guess I can live with that! ;) The alternative is this one:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/136690.htm
- and is also a C4 (...and not purple...).

Thanks again :)

O.

Can I ask what you mean by 'the exhaust sits a bit low'? Have you been to see the car?

And TBH how can you consider a car with Savannah? the worst possible interior colour(unless you fall upon Nephrite that is)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121261

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baltic928GT
Back