Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

More downforce! Which spoiler?

PolarExpress

Banned
Ok chaps, I need your help. In the long line of various upgrades to the PolarExpress, I'm looking to increase the rear downforce on the back. In other words, I'm shopping for a new rear spoiler!

Please keep in mind that this car will still be used on the road... occasionally!!!

So which one...

The Manthey RS carbon? (even lighter than the Porsche RS version and offering greater adjustment + more downforce):

cmsimage-3.jpg

cmsimage-2-1.jpg

or

the Manthey Signature edition which is bespoke to Manthey and proven in the wind tunnel:

cmsimage-1.jpg

cmsimage-5.jpg

or

the Cup edition, as proven on the race track:

lhy2006-Porsche-911-997-GT3-Cup-RA_.jpg

DSCF5282_800px.jpg

What do you think?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120087

Ding, ding, ding! Fast and Furious Alert!!!!

Headline: Ade to trade his car in for a rice rocket.

I can't help thinking that your mind's already made up! Now the Manthey one might cause the birds to slip off, unlike the flat with edges Porsche ones.

What are you doing about front downforce? Sack of spuds?

Damian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120090

he needs that giant sized rear spoiler that the mental Manthey cars race with , IIRC 3 feet tall + !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120091

Seriously, my mind is not made up! I figure that any non-original spoiler is... non-original! So, you might as well open up the floodgates and see what's available!

Already got lots of front end downforce (revised cup cooling pack which adds an extra 17kg over the front at speed...). Front end can be fine tuned with the front geo and susp... front camber at -3.25d, better front end bite since I stiffened up the dampers by a 0.25 click all round... currently 0.75 out of 4... also front ARBs have more room for adjustment since I'm somewhere in the middle...

It's the back I need more downforce!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120093

Hmmm... It was the shape of the Mk1 GT3 spoiler that sold me my current car!

I thought you could adjust the angle to gain more downforce at the rear if required?

Carbon ones are I'm sure outrageously expensive and very efficient, but can't help thinking they look a bit Halfrauds!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120094

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 23 February 2007
Seriously, my mind is not made up! I figure that any non-original spoiler is... non-original! So, you might as well open up the floodgates and see what's available!

Already got lots of front end downforce (revised cup cooling pack which adds an extra 17kg over the front at speed...). Front end can be fine tuned with the front geo and susp... front camber at -3.25d, better front end bite since I stiffened up the dampers by a 0.25 click all round... currently 0.75 out of 4... also front ARBs have more room for adjustment since I'm somewhere in the middle...

It's the back I need more downforce!

Go with the MR Carbon one, or 'borrow' one from a GT3RS.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120095

of course you could ask this "expert" on aerodynamics :p

thin00008.jpg

thin00009.jpg

thin00010.jpg

thin00012.jpg

shamelessly taken from Barryboys website..............but spookily enough this car actually resides less than 5 miles from me :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120096

I stuck with the Mk1 spoiler for as long as I could - it's already in maximum attack mode, but the problem is that it isn't enough for the greater speed the Manthey GT3 gets up to and can carry through the corners on the suspension and geo settings. eg, Woodcote at Silverstone where it's a fast 120mph right hander!

I'm sort of leaning towards the Manthey RS edition... thought about a Porsche RS edition, but the Manthey one IS better (upto 62kg downforce) and is about the same price... also the rear engine lid loses more weight as it goes all carbon fibre :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120097

Rodders, please get that monstrosity off 911uk!!!! :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120098

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 23 February 2007

Rodders, please get that monstrosity off 911uk!!!! :(

C'mon......you know you want to swap the Manthey for it :wink:
.....besides,if you did,think of the money you could make off the Ferrari forums selling that Ferrari 328 number plate it has :p

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120101

Previous poster said:
hhhhmmmmm, oem spec if fine, does the job on the Mk2 and that's without the tart adjustment setting !

but as you've got the extra front downforce you need to balance it, so go with the Cup wing

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120104

The Manthey RS carbon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120105

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 23 February 2007
Previous poster said:
hhhhmmmmm, oem spec if fine, does the job on the Mk2 and that's without the tart adjustment setting !
but as you've got the extra front downforce you need to balance it, so go with the Cup wing

yeah, but that's cos you go slow and aero doesn't matter :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120108

Ade, get an RS!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120109

that's not what mattie says !

Cup spoiler then you better get a move on

pictures of that on a Mk1 would help

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120110

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member