Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fan heater windscreen de-mister Broken

Glynmun

Hi all!

Only just bought a 1991 964 C2 on saturday (owned it for 5 days now)...great little drive! The fan heater / demister worked fine on the test drive but as soon as i parted with my hard earned cash the thing stopped working. A funny buzzing noise then kaput! i'm bloody freezing cold having to drive to work with the windows half down just to see through the windscreen.

I've opened the hood and examined the fuses...fuse 1 (25A) sems to be the one for the blower...that seems fine and intact (not melted). what else can i try bearing in mind i have no idea about extremely tech stuff. So please dn't use acronyms like change the ddp valve on the CCU inlet sensor array...coz then i would be well screwed!

I dont want to go opc as everyone ive talked to says stay clear as they just want your cash and dont seem to know very much, especially if you didnt buy your motor there!!

Can you help me pleeeease?!!!

Thanks in advance !

Glynmun

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117526

Ah, I am suffering from a similar problem at the moment.

With the ignition on as far as poss without starting the engine and the heat turned up is the hot air blower working? This is in the engine compartment, top left. See:-

http://www.911uk.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=37&TopicID=10143&PagePosition=1

If not then the fuse for this is in the plastic box to the left of it. If that is dead then the dash fans will only work with the heat turned all the way off.

If this is working then it sounds like the dash fans are screwed.

The hot air blower motors I think are about £104 +vat See below

http://www.type-911.co.uk/gp_electrical.htm

(964,993 Heater Fan (in engine bay) Motor only)

The dash fans are a little more expensive £165 ish I think and I think you need 2 of those.

Whether you fit them yourself or get someone else to do it depends on your patience/skills with a spanner but I'd try to find an independant rather than going to an OPC - some of the other members from your area should be able to help you out with that.

Anyway, hope that helps.

good luck

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117597

Wow , thanks mate. If it's nice this weekend, and not raining or blowing a gale...i'll have an explore. I have explored the fuse box in the luggage compartment at the front of the car on the drivers side under the boot liner ...and fuse number 1 rated at 25 Amps is supposed to be the blower fuse...this looks fine.

Is there another fuse box in the engine compartment then?

Theres no life in my fans at all...whether the ignition is switched all the way on without switching engine on or otherwise. Sods law it was the day after i shook the guys hand and he walked away with a five year bank loan!!

The oil guage is weird too...it only shows a level inside the car on the guage when completely stationary and the needle sits in the red when in motion!

Been used to completely reliable Jap cars, with no foibles!

Thanks again for your help....hope someone else helps us both out too!

G

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117734

Don't worry about the oil gauge they are all like that. They will only read the oild level when up to running temp idling and on a level surface. These are also the only conditions in which you should top the oil up.

i don't completely trust mine though so it's best to check manualy from time to time IMHO

W

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117786

I've got to get some more oil for the car anyway sometime this weekend. I was given the dregs of a Softec TXT bottle 5w 40 (used by the OPC in Cardiff). this oil is apparently only available to servic personnel and the equivalent by all accounts is Castrol GTX Magnatec 5w 40. Mobil 1 is considered not much good in our climate...a bit thin etc...not that i know diddly squatt!

Is there another fuse box in the engine compartment for the Dashboard windscreen de-mister...i've got to get it fixed. :roll:

If so, has it got a plan layout of which fuse is which under the lid of the fuse box as the one in the luggage compartment does? :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117805

I'm afraid i'm not prepared to comment about what oil I put in mine as someone who knows lots more about porsches will come along and throw rocks at my head saying "i'm dissapointed in you"! :oops: :wink:

There is another fuse box in the engine compartment but i think it only does the engine compartment based electrics - (guessing here)

Are you sure you get no life out of it when the heat is turned right down?

Incidently I bought a great book, it arrived this am. The 911 enthusiasts companion to the 964. Excellent - think they sell it at the back of total 911. Loads of hints on this kind of stuff £50 but should save you more than that in repair bills.

Have fun, layer up and the warmer weather is only just around the corner!

W

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117873

I use Castol GTX magnatec 10-40 in mine and its great. I have no idea what the fuse box in the engine bay does either, never even looked at it!! As for the oil level gauge, mine reads into the red permanently.... think that my oil level sender under the rear wheel arch is duff. Its on my list of to do's along with an rs clutch/flywheel !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 117960

How's you heating Glynmun?

Got a new hot air blower on the way (should be here today) so i'm going to fit that myself - see how it goes

Migration info. Legacy thread was 119991

I changd heater fuses...some are apparently rated at 25amp and are now recommended to be 30amp ..so have changed them...did the ones in the engine bay too. I don't think i have a blower on the rear parcel shelf at all!!

Nothing happens when the ignition is on and engine off , no fan works at all. I've resorted to wiping rainX on the inside of my windshield as it stops fogging. It's a vast improvement but it still fogs occasionally. Annoying on such a nice car...seems like a lot of energy was put into making the engines and getting rid of all the oil leak probs etc but they still used crapy lame windscreen demisters (you'd think that porche would get this right as you can't see where to drive if the screen is fogged up).

So as you can tell mine is still kaput. please let me know where you got your Climate control unit from, part number and price and how easy it was to fix/fit!!!!

Was it the CCU or was it a fan motor that burned out?

Let me know bud ...i want to sort mine out!And i now need a new air inlet pipe to connect to the air box as mine must have come lose and flew into the engine fan and is not made out of marking tape sprayed black!G

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120048

What happened with mine is the rear heater motor burned out. This is the bit in the picture below.

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/engine%20compartment(1).JPG

this meant that the fans in the dash would not work unless the temperature was turned right down, ie no heat needed. and the demister boost button (since that relies on heatfrom this blower) would not work at all.

With the ignition on all the way (but not the engine) and the heat in the cabin turned up along with the fans this motor should be on. If it isn't then you need to get it checked but it's quite a common failure.

If that motor is working but there is still no fan noise from the dash when you arein the cabin then you may have dead dash fans. These are located in the luggage compartment afaik.

I have heard of other things going wrong e.g the flaps that divert either hot or cold air getting jammed in one position or another giving you either only hot air or only cold.

Whatever it is it's not normal so persevere with it and get it right. These cars are definately worth it!

W

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120149

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back