Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 Mk 1 Brakes upgrade

rikki griffiths

Morning chaps!

OK - Committed to upgrading MK1 brakes. After swapping pads/ discs out last yr + learning to brake later, harder & shorter, it was "ok", but never really felt like the brakes were strong.

So, looking at the forum "floaters" seem like the way to go and there appears to be Brembo with Parr, or Alcon with JZM. Two questions if I may:

1. Any preferences/differences?
2. Do u have to do fronts & rears _ this is just a saving money q?

Thanks
Ricardo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116482

Doing just the fronts are fine.

Key differences:

Alcons: they are floaters and do not rattle.

Brembos: they are floaters and do rattle.

Pagid RS29s are the pad of common choice.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116497

Thanks OC.

Is the rattle all the time, or just when braking & how bad is it (know thats subjective & difficult to answer).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116504

The Brembos start rattling a short while after hard use. Loud enough to hear it inside the cabin sitting at the traffic lights.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116507

Peter Topping was selling a set of Alcons recently but dunno if they're sold. Remember you'll need the mk2 big reds too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116509

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 12 February 2007

but my Alcons float, rattle and roll !
That's because you have the old generation 1 version. The current generation 2 version don't rattle and are 10mm bigger (360mm vs 350mm)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116511

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 12 February 2007
Peter Topping was selling a set of Alcons recently but dunno if they're sold. Remember you'll need the mk2 big reds too.
Thats the 6 pot calipers right? Is Peter on this forum?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116517

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by rikki griffiths on 12 February 2007

Previous poster said:

Yes and yes! Try a look in the for sales section of the forum, it was a few months ago now

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116521

Previous poster said:
Previous poster said:
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 12 February 2007 Peter Topping was selling a set of Alcons recently but dunno if they're sold. Remember you'll need the mk2 big reds too.[/i:hcytf4P5HY]
Yes and yes! Try a look in the for sales section of the forum, it was a few months ago now
Oh _ dont get shirty :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116522

Previous poster said:

Previous poster said:

Previous poster said:

Previous poster said:

Peter Topping was selling a set of Alcons recently but dunno if they're sold. Remember you'll need the mk2 big reds too.[/i:EtSjre7f4V]
Oh _ dont get shirty :wink:
Got a bit carried away! I remember that he mentioned he had them for sale in a nother thread as opposed to putting up an advert. His advert was for new yellow 6 pots. Might be worth sending him a pm as he seems to get hold of bits like these from time to time!

If your mk1 discs are in good nick after you upgrade i'll take them off you! My currents are a bit roasted after having coarse pads attacking them.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116524

Cheers Duncan _ yep, I'll let u have a look at them BUT< they are the cup discs and the cracks have appeared so not sure how long left but u r welcome to look.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116530

I thought the cup discs were solid, no? Where are they cracking?

I was just going to get a set of cross drilled std discs for it, did you find the cup discs better? (or cheaper?)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116538

Cup discs are just thinner versions of the regular discs.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116542

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back