Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking to buy a 996 (first 911!)

Silversurfer

Hi guys

Just registered with the aim of soaking up your experiences with the hope of identifying a smart 996 that will be an able commuter and a fun car on the Moors. Where do I begin?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116184

Well - the £25K will be the limiting factor at the moment. You will definately get a good 996 for that money. A 2000 coupe C2 or C4 should be within that money.

I take it you are looking for coupe not a cab.

Also what colours/spec ae you looking for?

Welcome and sorry for all the questions! :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116186

Yep, coupe it is. C4 or C2; I assume C4 is the better (safer??) bet? Colour; well no to silver, but open to other colours if it is the right car. Spec wise, obviously the higher the better; but in terms of minimum spec, not sure so hoping you guys can help me out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116226

Difference between c2 and c4(4 wheel drive) is a subject of much debate already! Most people seem to agree that the c4 can be more -surefooted? in the wet etc but that the c2 can be more "lively"? to drive. In reality with (usually) huge rear boots combined with a heavy engine over the rear means that rear grip is good anyway. Traction control is a must on a c2(standard on a c4), standard seats are only partially electric. Sometimes you see advertised "electric seats" but the standard ones are only partially electric. If "memory seats" advertised, these are fully electric. Fsh a must (same for most cars these days). Do ask around at local OPC (official porsche centre, or 'main dealer') for approximate servicing costs. Other members more local to you might be able to suggest an independent nearby who might be cheaper. Finally if you spot a likley car online let us know, we can then give you our opinion!

These are just random thoughts off the top of my head I'm sure I've missed loads!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116235

hi,

For safety with family as a concern, I went the C4S route. The C2 is more of a handful and a purist drive.

Depends on your wants needs list.

For resale the following is worth noting,

manual over tiptronic.

PCM. (porsche communication management, sat nav)

BOSE upgrade

Litronic. (Bi-xenon headlights.)

PSE. (Porsche sports exhaust)

The PCM if not present on a pre 2003 can be replaced with a becker unit.

Retrofitting the system is mega bucks. Also the litronic lights cannot be retrofited. However a bi-xenon kit can be added.

PSE is easily retrofitted.

You should find some nice ones for your budget. Incidently what is wrong with silver :wink:
?

Alan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116364

If there is a C4S for £25k, where do I sign? :eek:

I'd go for a standard C2 and find a nice colour combo spec. A totally brilliant and often underrated/overshadowed car because of the other flashy models in the range.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116405

Thanks guys, very useful already.

Currently have a `show' condition FRP (kind of a mini 911 in some respects!) that I adore and is relatively cheap to run considering its exclusivity and some of its bespoke parts (ALCON race brake set up for example). However, it's not a 911 and I have `911' on my list of things to do......However it's also a big step in terms of costs, depreciation (my FRP just isn't depreciating at all), what sort of mileage it will withstand (I would intend to do a fair bit of commuting, so buy a high mileage one that has had its biggest round of depreciation and just accept that when I am finished with it it will have very high mileage and be relatively worthless)? Any thoughts?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116412

Whats a FRP ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116414

With even better stopping power from those ALCONS (really are the best I have ever experienced; hope a 911's are as good!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116693

looks good, savannah(?) interior not to everyone's taste, but I don't mind. New tyres are always a bonus. So depends how recent, I have 18" sport design alloys shod with 285's on rear and 225's on front. To replace all (P 0's) would cost IRO £600ish. Smaller rims a bit cheaper of course. Always replace with Porsche specification tyres. Search for your tyre size, then look down for the "N" variant. I.E if P 0's there will be 2. P 0's then P 0's N3.(Hope that makes sense). Electric windows/mirrors are standard kit, but if heated that's a bonus. Also you'd be surprised how many Porsche's came without sunroofs. 3 owners is pretty normal.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 116711

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back