Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

86 Supersport Convertible-Buying Advice?

Skunkpussy

Hello!

New on here but contemplating buying a friends Supersport off him to replace my company car (leaving my job end of march).

The car has full Documentation and history showing the mileage of 70+k as being right. Its in mint condition with its original factory white paint and blue leather interior, its got some non branded tyres on it (which I will change-any suggestions what to and where from would be welcome!) but seems a good buy to me.

Any suggestions of what to look for?

Thanks!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115613

You should get a PPI done, even though it is a friends car, this should show up any dodgy bits and give you some peace of mind.

1) Check that the build sticker is on the underside of the bonnet, above the catch and that it matches the one in the service book.

2) For a Supersport said sticker should have the 491 option code, this the Turbo look.

3) The supersport should also have the turbo breaks, so drilled discs and the calipurs should have cooling fins on the top.

4) Check around the windows for rust bubbles, down the door pillars, the kidney bowls.

5) Check that the carpets are not wet, if it has a sun roof the drain holes get blocked and the inside gets wet.

6) All the panel gaps should be pretty much spot on!

7) You need to get under the back end and have a good look for oil leeks, these can be expensive to fix.

8) When its fire up there may be a little smoke to start with, but should stop quite quickly and then be no more.

9) When its up to temperature check the oil level, the car should run quite happy with the filler cap off. Also check the oil pressure, should be around 2 bar at idle. I was told that on the move it should be revs + 1, up to the max. Also it shouldn't run too hot, although they all seem to be different.

10) Check that the heating works, if not could be expensive heat exchangers, mine works an absolute treat, but again I get the impression that they are all different. There shouldn't be any heat when the heating is off, but this seems to be a common fault that you get some heat, really annoys me as mine does this.

11) Check that all the paperwork makes sense!

From the tyres perspective I use Continental Sport Contacts, you are somewhat limited in choice because of the rear 245/45/16 size tyres.

Check out this site for some model info
http://www.vingoe.com/serial.htm

THat should be a good starting point

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115621

Sound advice there. All as that given to me when I started looking. Must do a PPI though as you do not want to start your life with a bagful of repairs.

Tyres must (should) be the correct rating. Continental Sports were recommended for mine and the Supersport has the same running gear. Avoid the 2's apparently. An internet search for tyres is highly recommended. I was amazed how much I saved on 4 new tyres for one car (and they quoted less when I spoke to them all be it for a different make) and they came to the house and fitted them.

I can't remember the name off hand but probably have their card at the office.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115630

Thanks very much for the info, very useful!

I have no discovered it isnt a supersport, not a big deal to me personally, its a standard 3.2 Carrera sport (i think!)

Any idea what I should be paying for it, its mint with full history serviced 500 miles ago?

Anyone?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115970

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back