Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 IDLE RPM

Starting Out

Hello, BTW fantastic forums, has made very interesting reading for me this evening.

I'm afraid I am no technical expert and am not sure whether I need to have my car looked at. I have a 2000 911 /996 C2 which I am concerned is idling too slowly (about 700rpm), does anyone know what speed the car should normally idle at?

Thanks,

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114453

I was looking for the spec, but I can't see it written anywhere at the moment.
I believe it should be around 700-750. The tickover is low for fuel economy/emissions reasons.

Generally, it is pretty close the resonant frequency of the passenger seat, which tends to vibrate at tickover.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114630

If the A/C is switched off the engine will idle a little low. I always have my A/C on to avoid the seals drying out and to stop the very annoying seat rumble!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114637

agree with the above, and am delighted that its not just my passenger seat that resonates at idle speed! c.700-800 at idle, c900-1000 with a/c on.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114676

That's what I love about this forum!

My passenger seat also has the "rumble" and thought maybe something was loose or that the car was idling slightly rough.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114748

I have only just purchased - my cars passenger seat also vibrates. When looking I saw approx 10 cars, all of which had the same problem!

I have noticed this problem dissapears when the aircon is on or I increase the idle rpm.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114752

I noticed this problem disappears when a fat girl sits in the passenger seat.

I think I will stick with the vibrations.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 114958

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back