Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Not RMS and my tip C2 thoughts

alan sweeney

Hi,

Well have to say got the news today that my oil leak was NOT the RMS. In fact it was the sump drain/filter plug gasket. This is covered under the warranty. Also had my squeeky windows sorted.

As the oil was drained to do the job decided to go for an early service which was due end of Feb anyway. Will get the beast back tomorrow.

In the mean time I have had a 997 Tip C2S to play with.

Just my subjective opinion but if they offered me a straight swap would still keep my 996 C4S.

Prefer the C4S looks and stronger road presence. Unfortunately I cannot get on with automatics/tiptronics. Quick off the mark ,but the auto gear changing did take the control from me. The manual/automatic debate can go on forever. This is down to personal choice. The 4WD is a definate winner with wet surfaces and my familiy priority.

There was a definante lighter feel to the steering which reduces confidence at pushing harder. However only had her 2 days so with more experience I could get used to it.

I am though making comparisons with how I felt when I drove my 4s. Felt confident pushed her in the wet on the test drive which was a shocking poor visibility day,no concerns. This is a definate different drive. The more modern cabin is nice but no major shakes over my 996.

But I will be getting a carbon centre console and door kit. Also the G-unit touch in the spring.

My conclusion is I will be keeping the girl for another year at least. So Daz my C4 still gets the looks :D

Alan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113434

Is the rmas not covered in warranty then mate, i know this is'nt the problem but just curious, if not how much is this to fix??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113638

RMS is covered by the warranty. Cost's around £750 to have done if you have no warranty. An RMS leaking is not a catastrophic failure more of a gradual leak therefore some people will wait until the clutch needs replacing and have it sorted then.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113643

Dave what if its a tiptronic, not sure where that leaves things re the clutch? regardsJG

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113649

agree with all you have said in comparing the two allan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113659

Interesting points Alan. I agree with most of what you say, the 997 widebodies do not have the same presence as the 996s...(well maybe apart from the RS :wink: )

I have not driven a C2S, only a C4S, but have to agree there is nothing tempting me to jump to 997...now a 996tt...thats a different story... :D

I am intrigued what the C4S values will do, as there is no direct comparison in the 997 range....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113667

Hi,

sibz the RMS is covered under warranty main reason people have it!. Glad is wasn't and happy that the sump plug was covered, although the gasket costs £0.60p the labour would be added.

Got her back this evening with fresh oil and serviced, took her for a blast and would not swap her for the 997 C2S. Happy Happy Happy :D

Interesting point F1, as I bought from an OPC I have taken a bit of a hit when compared to Indies and private sales over the last 10 months like for like. But I think the 996 C4S with its normally aspirated engine and looks, cheaper running costs than the 996 TT will be the iconic model of the range.

I drove the 997 C4s and not really impressed. Noticable power when really pushed but the presence was not the same. No major difference over the C2. I have seen a few aero kitted ones that look more aggressive but still prefer the 996.

Alan.

Alan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113736

i.e what I mean no major difference in the body shape of the C4 over the C2 which is the significant attractive point of the 996 C4S makes it special.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113737

i to agree that the C4S is the one that will hold its value best in years to come in the 996 range, and better probably than any of the 997's,

they are not that different to the 996 tbh, and I cant see the point of the extra money.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113746

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back