Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Test Drive

Parts

Banned
Have the 997 C4S cab on test drive today. Has been quite fun. Never driven the C4S and only had a short drive in a Turbo.

I am really impressed - it is obviously a lot quicker than my C2. The car deosn't feel that different to the C2 IMO. Ceratinly a lot closer than the 996 C2/C4. It wasn't until I really got the 4WD to kick in on the damp roads that I really felt the difference. Didn't like it at first - felt a bit like the car was driving you (can't think of a better way to describe it - sorry), but got used to it after a while. The handling is very impressive, really sharp into the corners and the 4WD certainly helps on the damp roads. :D

It's good enought to make me wonder if a 996 Turbo should be my next choice! :eek:
Also really pleased that the car gets on my drive with ease - about 4-5cm to spare at the front.

Car itself is Arctic Silver, with the Cocao interior which I really like. The Sport suspension button is fun - but the shaking was a bit much so the car stayed in normal most of the time. The cab hood is very quiet and I did wonder whether I would bother to shell out £2K on a hard top. Might do, if only for the better visability in the winter. The C4S looks massive from the back - dwarfed mine at the dealership. The phone module is really good but wasn't that impressed by the Nav. It's not even as good a TomTom! Once I got it working the screen is easy to see/use though. The Bose sounds system is aslo very good - felt much closer to CD quality than in my car. Have averaged 19mpg today including 70 miles on the motorway. :twisted:

All in all has been a good day - shame I have to give it back tomorrow! :roll:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113023

Just been out in it again since it was dry - great fun. The headlights are great in these new cars!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113124

Had to rearrange my 997 C4S test drive until Wednesday....none of these roofless, stickless contraptions for me!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113129

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by damianc4s on 29 January 2007

Had to rearrange my 997 C4S test drive until Wednesday....none of these roofless, stickless contraptions for me!!!!
Be really interested to see how you think it compares to yours. I would say the 997 C4S cab felt stiffer than the 996 C4S coupe. No joke! A massive difference.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113131

Tried to rearrange mine today as I have to work, but all the local OPC's cars are "fully booked" - so I can't have one now! :roll:

These 24-hour test drives are a limited time promotion apparently, and once the deadline is reached - tough! You would think that they would continue it until everyone that they sent an invite to had had their test-drive really wouldn't you?

Turning into the Hoover free flights scenario for me... nothing like dangling a carrot and then whipping it away again!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113141

Wattie...

can you try another OPC?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113177

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by damianc4s on 29 January 2007

STILL havent got around to taking mine up, and that was since Nov !

Chris, great that you enjoyed it, but what was the 1 thing that shocked you about it ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113179

Chris... glad you enjoyed yourself.

It is so hard giving it back!

I agree with the phone thingy.... until you drop your sim and it goes in an unreachable place!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113187

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nicola on 29 January 2007

Wattie...

can you try another OPC?
Tried that... Apparently, all OPCs within 100 miles are fully booked for Friday/Saturday test-drives, which are the only days I can do for the next three weeks :(

Only slots left anywhere are for non-'S' cars and tiptronics... I would do it just for the hell of it if it was nearby, but driving 2 hours each way to collect a car that is slower than my own seems a bit pointless really!

I would have been quicker off the mark if my local OPC had decent cars, but their only S was a C2S cabriolet, and rag-tops do nothing for me I'm afraid (I'm not pretty enough for people to want to see that much of me... LOL)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113198

I currently have three OPC's trying to get me to take one out. If tehy would do the same car on three consecutive days I might be interested!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113199

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by SeanD on 30 January 2007

I currently have three OPC's trying to get me to take one out. If tehy would do the same car on three consecutive days I might be interested!
Oooo get you!

so where would you take the car for 3 days then? :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113201

It is the problem with not having an OPC near you. You end up building relationships with several of them.

I would tour the coast of Britain, finding the time could be interesting which is why I have to push back on the offers to date.

In a couple of weeks time I get to drive around in the sun in the car which really interests me the 997 Targa 4S as I am visiting a guy in Cape town who has had his since christmas. I however will resist until I can get one second hand. To tide me over in the mean time Ade has pointed me in teh direction of some intersting 964s to suppliment Sally.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113206

Ok guys, got mine today, a fully Aerokitted C4S manual, in Atlas Grey (or is Meteor?) very nice colour anyway. The OPC certainly make life difficult for you by providing a car with every conceivable option (minus the sunroof and rear wiper), but taking a C4S up to £90k is verging on insanity in my eyes.

Well I have to say I was shocked to hear that the car I'm test driving is a -20mm, Mechanical diff. equipped car, I've been trying to drive one of these for years! First impressions are excellent, not too soft like a standard, not too fidgety like a PASM (Sport) equipped car. The short-shifted 997 gearbox is far better than my current ride, not notchy in anyway. The carbon interior, although not my first choice is quite nice albeit a little too chaotic for a 996 owner.

Handling wise, it does understeer more than my C4S ever did, the brakes are not up to the mark, I've been using RS29s for years now and they do make a difference over standard - they do shag your discs though!

Performance, I do believe my C4S is faster and more responsive, but I can put that down to the 1300 miles this car has done and the 48k I've done in mine.

Final point, I still hate those Turbo wheels - hideous! Also why is the PSE so much quieter than mine?

So first impressions are good, I'll let you know more later!

I'm going out to play!

Damian

Migration info. Legacy thread was 113652

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back