Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water"sports"

Glenn Wallis

I purchased my Supersport last year, following an extensive PPI report, which claimed the car was in outstanding condition (still is and I want to keep it that way). I didn't think for one minute the "sport" part extended to anything to do with water, other than perhaps cruising up the beach front in Cannes, after an exhilirating drive down the Autoroute de Soleil.

Imagine my horror then when cleaning the inside of the car at the weekend, prior to, of all ironies, moving it to a garage that I have just sourced, to find the carpets both back and front on the driver's side soaking wet ! :(

Any help here gratefully received. No obvious leaking from the sunroof. There is some "milking" of the windscreen - I knew about that - but could this be the cause of some break in the seal, that would then let water in? Thanks in advance.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111497

And there was me thinking this was a post from 'G'

:)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111507

Ensure the drains from the sunroof are clear. Mine were blocked and did the same thing. A quick blow out with an airline cured it but did nothing for the 6 hours of carpet and underlay removal, drying and refitting :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111509

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Daniel on 23 January 2007

ha

just brough back memories from Karting!

Dirty boy!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111525

That's weird, I found the exact same problem at the weekend, in my 87 Carrera, front footwells were flooded,(we get more rain in Scotland, remember).

I was going to try the windscreen seal, but I think I'll go for the sunroof drain holes.

Thanks, Iain

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111528

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by poon on 23 January 2007

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Daniel on 23 January 2007

hajust brough back memories from Karting!Dirty boy!
Thankfully I wasn't present for the full conversation.... :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111544

I regulary find a duck pond in my car when it's outside in the rain. My problem is the Targa though.

A way to prevent the water sitting there is to lift the carpet and drill a small hole in each of the foot wells. not sure how you would get on with water coming in when you drive in the wet, but will prevent the leaking water sitting on your carpets.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111549

Thanks for all those responses that were appropriate for this forum - (several of you are clearly thinking along the wrong lines and should re-direct to a more apt place :eek:
... and no I can't recommend any, other than counselling :D )

As the car is covered in snow at the mo. anyone got some pointers on where the sunroof drainage might be located and how to clear them?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111643

open the s/roof and in the corners there should be some holes - either use an airline or a piece of plastic covered wire to poke out any debris.

Jobs a good 'un :wink:

of course if that fails the s/roof might need to be adjusted or maybe even needs a new seal.

Best way to check if the drain holes are blocked is to slowely pour some water down the drainholes and see if it appears under the car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111644

Thank Fuchs for that (LOL) ... a sensible reply

Cheers - once the snow's melted I shall follow that advice. Much appreciated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111645

Have to agree Glenn - more and more threads these days are hijacked for a bit of in-crowd back slapping and rib tickling. That's cool and I don't mean to sound like a killjoy - but it's not a lot of fun for the rest of us it has to be said. I don't mean to cause offence, but it does get old a bit quickly now. :wink:

(Ironically, perhaps this post is best moved to a topic all of its own - apologies)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111654

I think I must be showing my age - and like you Simon I'm all for a good laugh - but it just seems a bit annoying that you sometimes have to scroll past quite a lot of "in-crowd" stuff before you get a straight answer. I think the tone of the question and its location on the specific forum area would be a fair indicator of the type of response you were hoping for.

All that said, I have found the generosity of people on this forum to be absolutely invaluable and very generously given....has that just contradicted my own standpoint about unrelated waffle ?????? :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111659

C'mon guys , there is no "in crowd" here - maybe a few Pricesses :wink:

We tend to spot the "good guys" very early on and respect them accordingly, but i do know what you both mean about thread hijacking, but thats all part of the fun, otherwise this place would be like PCGB and we dont want that do we ?

Alltogether now " NO !!!"

As RobJ said recently " Right bunch of commedians you lot are" :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111663

Don't get me wrong Fuchs, I think the spirit is one of the very attractive things about this site... well that and the fact that you get to look at Porsches all the time !

More established members and those who have met "in the real world" have an affinity and that comes across clearly in some of the posts. Those of us that are still relatively new don't have that relationship and probably don't want to appear to be trying too hard and thus seem to have a tendency to stick to the issues being discussed.

Whatever, I love it ! :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111678

I too love the forum, and have been active on here for nearly 4 years. The generosity of information and advice is great and I really enjoy reading the posts. All I'm saying is that recently so many of the threads turn into exclusive conversation unrelated to the topic post. I don't want this to turn into PCGB - but I have to say that I wonder how sustainable the site / forum is at current levels of thread hijacking. It's something I've been noticing for a while.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 111684

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back