Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

....oh oh its getting noisy

richard burr

....hello heres a stupid question

my 964 is developing a noisy exhaust....this has only just happened...well i only noticed it today..

the question is does anybody have any idea of how long,in terms of miles,all motorway,and driven conservatively it will last before replacement is ESSENTIAL

and also the rough cost of replacement

i realise this is tough to answer but i have a trip to europe coming up after which i plan on selling the car...i am loathed to spend a lot of money on it as i doubt it is a wise investment on a 15 year old car.

any ideas, comments welcome

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110241

First define the problem - my motto.

Where is the noise coming from - is it a visible hole is it a pipe clamp loose or missing - is it an internal baffle broken - is it a pipe rusted through.

Also if its noisy - and its clearly rusty (say) you are going to have to reduce your price to sell it.

So you might as well get it fixed and have a worry free holiday.

You know it makes sense....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110243

try german and swedish car parts for reasonably priced parts, otherwise used or from a breakers could be an option

condition, it will only get worse

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110323

If it's the sec.silencer, budget on about £300 for a new one from G+S, Euro car parts (think they sell Dansk bits) Original from OPC about £600.

Mine got noticably louder following a track day last year, culdn't see any splits or holes but when I took it of there were a lot of stress/rot fractures around the joins at the top of the box. Really minute in size but made a lot more noise.

You can usually pick up a s/h one cheap, I paid £40 for a really nice one. The breakers charge around £150 for one.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115357

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back