Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery inaccessibility

Michael Parker

I've had my Boxster 6 months now, and for the second time it's lifeless after leaving it unused for 4 weeks. The first time, I could only get it going with the aid of a new battery, but this time, I can't even get to the battery to charge it. The emergency route to unlocking the front boot doesn't work, and all the car will do is gradually wind it's driver's window down. Lucky I'm not parked on the street then.
According to Tonbridge OPC, the other way to get into the boot is to take the offside front wheel off, and pull the cable behind the headlight. But of course I need the wheel nut lock and jack from inside the boot...
Any ideas?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110225

how old is the car

theres 3 ways it can be unlocked

do you have a Citek charger ( or Porsche chargo mat) can be bought from vertar for less than £50

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110230

Try to pull the cable with a length of wire coat hanger bent into a hook at the end - use the manual to see where it is in the wheel arch.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110231

From rennlist

=========================

If your fob doesn't open the door then it's either timed out or your battery's dead. If your alarm lights are flashing on your dash then your battery's likely not dead. You can check your battery by opening the engine lid and putting a voltmeter on the battery terminal in the engine compartment.

To open your engine lid you need to carefully insert a thin blade (like a putty knife) between the top of the left rear lights housing and the bumper. Shine a light through the crack and you should see a thin cable. If you can snag that with a thin piece of wire (I used florist's wire which is very thin and stiff) you can open your engine lid by pulling on it.

If you're not deaf after this manoeuvre your battery is dead. Charge it and try the key fob again. If the alarm was on the horn honking will confirm you're battery isn't the problem.

You can also try to open the trunk through the right front wheel well by removing the little plugs which hold the wheel liner in place and putting your hand in between the liner and wheel well and finding a similar cable to open the hood. However, if you have 18" wheels as I do it' s pretty damn hard to do. I gave up after an hour. The rear lid took 90 seconds.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110233

Does the Boxster not have a charging/jumping point in the interior fuse box like the 996/997 has?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110236

AA or RAC cover will get your wheel / jack problem solved for you. Alternative - go to Halfords and buy a jack and brace.

Or any local garage would call and do it for the price of a beer if you ask nicely.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110237

Thanks for replies. Yes the Boxster has a jump point in the fusebox but using this does not seem to work this time to release the bootlid, or stop the horn alarm going off (although the main alarm system doesn't sound).
Will maybe have a go at accessing the cable through the wheelarch but yes I have 18" wheels and it looks tricky. Will maybe call the RAC out and see whether they can do better.
I'm sure the battery's pretty much dead though, since the electrics are hardly functioning now, and I no longer get ignition lights on when turning the key.

Mike

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110416

Open the fuse box

pull out the red button

+ve side of the jump leads to the red button

-ve side to the door check strap

its easier than a pe facelift car

if its under Porsche warranty they'll come and start it for you

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110426

I've tried the fuse box red button but it doesn't work this time.
It does have an extended Porsche warranty, I'll go check the small print on whether they'll come out to fix it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110436

They will come and fix it, and or trailer it to your nearest OPC,

You can charge the battery using the cigarette lighter socket with a suitable battery charger I>E Citek or Porsche Charg omat,

Sometimes you have to wiggle the -ve crocodile clip on the door check strap to get a good contact, but it should work

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110465

Update - Porsche Assistance came and sorted it. With better jump leads than mine, there was enough power to open the bonnet OK, and start the car. They have a very fancy battery analyser which will state whether the battery will need replacing or not (amongst numerous other info). After the engine ran for 5 minutes, the analyser said the battery was OK.
It's now on a Citek conditioner being charged.
I think I'd better get some more hunky jump leads in case there's a 3rd time. Better leave it on the Citek as well if I'm away for 2 weeks plus.

Thanks to all for your help.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 110694

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back