Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tips for polishign tips?

smtk

I was going to take off my exhaust tips today and give them and good clean n polish with my new dremel

What good for cleaning them up before polishing?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106135

Brillo pads?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106139

I used brasso on mine and they came up nice.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106140

i always chuckle when some one says brasso :)

someone said oven cleaner to get the crap of good or bad idea?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106142

What are the tips made of? Chrome plated/polished stainless/anodised etc. I have standard 993 S tips which seem to be anodised ith a matt finish and get decent results from autosol type paste.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106148

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by smtk on 04 January 2007

i always chuckle when some one says brasso :)someone said oven cleaner to get the crap of good or bad idea?
I wouldn't have thought oven cleaner would do them any good - it is nasty stuff. You just need some good ooooold fashioned elbow grease!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106190

WD40 did mine well. Oh and someone else told me Coke. (Liquid,not powder.)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106199

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Philip1972 on 04 January 2007
WD40 did mine well. Oh and someone else told me Coke. (Liquid,not powder.)

Yep, leave them in Coke overnight. And it needs to be regular Coke, not diet!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106315

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by damianc4s on 04 January 2007
Wonder Wheels anybody?

I'd imagine that'll burn through any muck on tips!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106332

well i found some gunk (degreaser) and i leave them in that

the polishing didnt go brillantly the polishing pads are to small for a large area

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106404

working for a household goods manufaturer as i do i finally feel qualified to help on this thread :)

OK, oven cleaner can be used depending on the type. Acidic cleaner (such as cillit bang) will clean nicely but be careful not to leave it on there for any length of time as it will tarnish (as our cleaner has done to our bathroom taps... harumph). I'd leave agressive alkali based ones alone for stainless steel (mr muscle etc) as they can be very aggressive on metal surfaces (shiny ones anyway)

Personally i'd recommend Silvo (liquid or the wadding) or brasso (you can laugh) as a first pass and then maybe cillit for any more diificult stains but like i say, rinse thoroughly and don;t leave it stewing on there. Oh and don;t do it on hot exhausts either...

I do have knowledge after all... sadly in cleaners rather than porsches...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106419

whats Cif then?

anionic sufactants says on the label

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106424

Like others here I use Autosol and a bit of elbow grease (initially). Brings em up like glass. If you give them a quick buffing every so often with your Autosol rag after that, should keep them looking good.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106433

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back