Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

998 Speculation

Parts

Banned
From Wikepedia:

"

998 Series (2009–Unknown)

Porsche is expected to debut its next entirely new 911, the Type 998, in
. The 998 is rumoured to have an entirely new 3.8 litre or 4.0 litre flat eight engine, still hanging over the rear axle. It is said that the current flat six cannot be bored over 4.0 litres, so Porsche will concentrate on shaving off weight developing a new
sequential transmission

The 998 is rumored to have a unit
aluminum
body (like the
Audi A8
) and a 7-speed dual clutch sequential transmission. There is also the possibility it might have dual rear-mounted radiators (like Lamborghinis and
Ferrari Testarossa
) for better weight distribution and to make more efficient use of the rear-mounted longitudinally-mounted flat-6 configuration.

Also, the next GT2 and GT3 models are expected to have optional carbon fiber wheels (like the
Koenigsegg CCX
) to reduce
unsprung weight
. It is worth noting that the 996 GT2 was the first production car to feature ceramic disc brake rotors, which are now on nearly every supercar made today, so if carbon fiber wheels catch on in the next few years it is highly likely they will be featured.

Previous Porsche press releases said that for the 911 they would never deviate from the flat-6 rear engine rear drive platform although apparently there are some Porsche engineers who would like a
mid-engined
platform for future 911s."

Need a new model area Admin! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105112

at some point I was thinking about a '998 Future Model Series' section...

good info

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105135

Maybe just a future models section. Could put the GT2, panamera and other stuff in there too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105156

Theres also a 999 coming out but it's limited to one colour only.......red. :p

Happy new year to all :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105171

I reckon that is all pretty unlikely.

I should think the 997 will run for more than 4 years. They will not replace it so fast.

At the moment there is no need to move to aluminium. The Ferrari 360 shell is all aluminium I believe and is heavier than the 996's steel one.
Steel is cheaper, easier to work with, stronger and with tailored blanks, can be used without too much weight penalty. I also believe it is easier to fix if you dent the car.
Porsche have worked hard with the steel companies, so I am not sure they would throught that away.
I can imagine more use of composites, but steel will not disappear.

The 8 cylinder thing has been going round for ages.
I strongly doubt they will do it.
They have said the 6 cylinder is key to the character of the car.
To go above 4 litres will make the throttle response too slow (unless the go for more cylinders). But since they can get more power and torque without making the engines bigger, and the strategy is that each evolution must be more fuel efficient, I think it will not be a bigger displacement.
I think this is all speculation by the author.

Putting radiators in the back will make the weight distribution worse. It is also not sensible since you want the radiators where the air can get to them.
If you want to keep the 2+2 configuration, then there is no way to put in them in front of the rear wheels.

The engine position will not change, and the position of the radiators will not help with it's efficient usage.

Carbon wheels could be possible though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105683

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stuart Martin on 02 January 2007

At the moment there is no need to move to aluminium. The Ferrari 360 shell is all aluminium I believe and is heavier than the 996's steel one.Steel is cheaper, easier to work with, stronger and with tailored blanks, can be used without too much weight penalty. I also believe it is easier to fix if you dent the car.Porsche have worked hard with the steel companies, so I am not sure they would throught that away.I can imagine more use of composites, but steel will not disappear.
A very interesting post there Stuart, agree about the Flat-8 rumours being just that

As for the use of Aluminium I believe that this is what they are moving towards as the equiv' 360 is actually a much larger vehicle and thus this is the next stage. Although you never know with Porsche.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105743

Porsche did use aluminium to some extend in their light weight track cars such as the RS ( bonnet) and GT2 (bonnet + doors). Would like to see more carbon fibre for body panels though as they get cheaper and easier to produce.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105744

Any news on shape, Will it be a small change ?

After the 993, the 997 is one of the best looking 911's....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105750

all interesting but unlikely. Developing the new 998 starts 1st August this year after the summer hols. The new 998 will not be out until late 2010 probably early 2011. The shareholding percentage hiccups now with VW could delay things further so early 2011 is feasible.

Daniel said:
Any news on shape, Will it be a small change ?

After the 993, the 997 is one of the best looking 911's....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105750

Car or driver :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back