Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Under bonnet sticker?

Matt P

Been to look at a number of 996 C4S today at some dealers and a couple of them were missing the sticker on the underside of the bonnet that details the options fitted at the factory and the C16 build etc.

I was under the impression that this was fitted to all cars and therefore the absence of it would indicate some kind of possible frontal damage leading to a replacement bonnet.

Is this correct or am I being overly paranoid?

Thanks, Matt

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104643

no sounds reasonable to me

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104648

This sticker still has a tendency to ripple up, my C4S has a rather manky faded looking sticker. I would have thought some owner without my Porsche knowledge would remove it when it reached such a state.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104658

You're quite right - it's virtually impossible to remove entirly so if it's just not there then you can guarantee that there's been a frontal impact resulting in a new bonnet. Just stone chips being sprayed out wouldn't require the bonnet sticker to be lost!

The OTHER trick to watch out for is that the sticker is there on the bonnet - but it's missing from the service book!

According to Porsche UK, when the car is being completed TWO and only TWO stickers are produced using a special counterfeit proof paper. One is fitted to the underside of the bonnet, the other on the second (from memory) page of the service book.

Some dodgy folk will 'steam' off the one from the service book and stick it to the underside of the bonnet to throw off the unprepared!

The reason I know? I purchased a GT2 from JCT600 who lost the service book :evil:
and even heavy lawyers letters to JCT and Porsche prove that it's physically impossible to obtain another :eek:

If it's missing - there's a story :roll:

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104668

Mine has rippled too - but it is still there. Even if mine was unreadable - I would still leave the sticker there.

Modern pressure washers seem to cause a lot of the damage to the stickers.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104683

Mine is missing also. I tend not to worry too much about it as it was bought from a well known indie and has all of it's paperwork from first registration. I also contacted the previous owner. He knew nothing of damage to warrant a replacement bonnet.
However I agree with Phil, that it must have a story, but hopefully not a bad one.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104706

My service book has a vehicle identification sticker on page 4 which matches the one (unwrinkled) under the bonnet.

Sweet dreams. :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104707

The sticker under the front bonnet will not fall off, if it aint there some form of paint has taken place be it big or small.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105648

Does anyone have a photo of what these look like? I'm seeing an '02 C4 saturday and would be handy to check for.

Matt are we looking at the same cars you think? I'm based in Surrey.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105650

The sticker is whit in colour with computer type print of all options fitted to the car when it left the factory. It also states the country type which the car was built for ie C16 is uk.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105659

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by stats007 on 02 January 2007
Does anyone have a photo of what these look like? I'm seeing an '02 C4 saturday and would be handy to check for.

Matt are we looking at the same cars you think? I'm based in Surrey.

Ask to see the service book, you will find an identical copy on page 4

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105663

Stats007

As I have not got round to taking the car to the paintshop and am at a bit of a loose end as all the people I need to get hold of are on holiday this week I have taken some snaps for you.

This is the sticker everyone is talking about. Same as on p4 of the service book.

underbonnet.jpg

This is the plate in the drivers side door jam

doorjam.jpg

and this is the little window to look down to the VIN through. Note easy to remove if you want a closer look. Your eyes are not all you should be looking at the VIN with, run your fingers over and under it.

vin.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105841

Sean many thanks for that :).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105848

I think you should be careful. There no real reason why this sticker shouldn't be in place unless the bonnet has been repaired or replaced. More commonly the sticker in the service book is missing. I looked at alot of 996s before I bought, and all the best cars (mainly in OPCs) had both stickers clearly visible which checked out, although with time the bonnet sticker does wrinkle but the details can be easily read.

David..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106003

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back