Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Traction Control (TC) & Porsche Stability Mangt (PSM) in

Tim Riseborough

Quite useful info from the net :roll:

ABS version 5.3 with optional Traction Control was fitted to the Carrera 996 when it was introduced. TC is a combination of ABD (Automatic Brake Differential) and ASC (Automatic Slip Control). Power reduction and individual wheel braking are used to control slippage when it is detected by the ABS sensors.

PSM (Porsche Stability Management) is a far more comprehensive stability control system. PSM 5.3 was introduced as an option on the 1999 Carrera 4, and PSM 5.7 became an option on all models from MY2000.

"PSM is an active control system for stabilising a vehicle at the limit of its driving dynamics capability. PSM includes functions such as ABS, ABD, ASR (traction-slip control), EBV (Electronic Brake-force Distribution), as well as a longitudinal dynamics control system MSR (engine drag torque control). In addition to this, the vehicle is stabilised at the limit of its driving dynamics capability within the transverse dynamics control system by FDR (driving dynamics control system)." Lots of nice acronyms for you to get your head around there!

The two articles below explain the systems and components in detail, and were extracted from Service Information Techniks for the MY1999 Carrera and the MY 2001 Boxster. They are in PDF format.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104615

Attachments

• psm_111.pdf
    394.2 KB · Views: 7
  • tc_104.pdf
    136.5 KB · Views: 7

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1