Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Alcantara steering wheel

Carrera

Banned
The 993RS I'm looking at has one of those 4 spokes steering wheel with airbag. Not my favorite especially on an RS. I was going to either 1) change to a leather 996 3 spokes like I did with my C2, 2)get rid of the airbag and have an RS 3 spokes, or 3)go for an Alcantara :

PO1302_kl.jpg

Now I know it dosen't breath etc etc, but at the moment I wear gloves on track days because the sweat on my hands make the leather steering wheel quite slipery. The Alcantara I'm sure have better feel and grip when you have sweaty hands.

So functionally it'd be better than the leather one. But does it look ok, or does it look naff on a road car? (bit like wearing full race suit on track days!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100078

Mick,

I have been thinking of specing/getting an alcantara wheel fitted to my next car. Yes the leather looks nice but on a long drive, especially one you are really enjoying the leather becomes unpleasant. Having tracked cars with alcantara my feeling is that I will get out from a long drive with better hands if I switch, and no I do not think it looks as bad as a full suit at a track day.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100087

I think it will look great in an RS - just as it does in the GT3RS!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100094

Great, now I just have to figure out how to buy it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100099

i posted about that wheel a while ago i'll try and find the site it was one

It was the one that does the carbon doors and bonnet

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100105

This is what's being installed in my car over the Xmas hols...

p93078.jpg

:)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100114

Check this 996 steering wheel on e-bay (ending soon) - looks like its part alcantara !

item No. 160060612700 or search "996 steering wheel"

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100115

The one on e-bay is an after market Techart wheel. Would like to stay Porsche really.

Simon, where do you think we can get hold of that Alcantara wheel from Cargraphic? It's not shown on the Cargraphic UK site. I guess we'll have to order it from Germany?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100180

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 14 December 2006

This is what's being installed in my car over the Xmas hols...
p93078.jpg

:)

I'm just sticking on some yellow tape on top of mine instead :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100221

Guess the spinning banana boys need the guidance to stay on the straight and narrow! :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100226

I'd quite happily slap on a GT3RS wheel, gearstick and handbrake lever (red stitching please) but they're super rare, even though one gets stacked every 5 mins. Think a lot of the smashed up ones are being rebuilt - future buyers beware!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100232

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by The ghost of Eff on 14 December 2006

Guess the spinning banana boys need the guidance to stay on the straight and narrow! :twisted:
exactly...... and yellow would work well on mine... depending on how Ade's look I may wrap some leather around ? or ??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100367

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 14 December 2006
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by The ghost of Eff on 14 December 2006Guess the spinning banana boys need the guidance to stay on the straight and narrow! :twisted:
exactly...... and yellow would work well on mine... depending on how Ade's look I may wrap some leather around ? or ??[/i:EMxdRPI4e1]

Next week mate! Ordered from Gert today, hopefully in by Tuesday... Porsche UK are out of stock at the mo... There's another gorgeous bit of Manthey bling going in too :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100461

my car is going to be left at OPC over Xmas for suspension check up, squeaks etc

dry top mount I have been told, will see, I am off to sunny St Lucia while being done lol.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 100493

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back