Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Test drive.

nic_

Banned
Will try and put my feelings down for you the best I can, but I'm not that great with words.

First off WOW!

Got to OPC Wilmslow and took advantage of the coffee and Fraser ate all the biscuts whilst we waited for the sales guy to to the handover. 10 minutes later the Sales Manager walks in and waves the keys to my toy for the next 24 hours at me with a smile. (I know Marcus quite well because of the Porsche club) We have a bit of a laugh and a joke, my licence gets copied and I sign an indemnity form and the keys are in my sticky little paws. After showing me how to open boots and bonnets and adjust seats he waves me bye bye and me and Fraser are at the beginning of our little adventure.

I was a bit scared of driving the car at first, well the car cost what I paid for my house, so Fraser left his car at the dealership and we went on an acclimatisation drive. (we were going to McDonalds for breakfast but got caught up in a bit of traffic) Marcus had mentioned going to the ring, saying it was do-able, but we weren't prepared so we decided to go with the second suggestion of the lakes. So collected Frasers car, via the airport tunnels of course, sounds sweet though there. and head home to grab "stuff" and we are off.

Outside my house

IMG_0420.jpg

Left Cheadle in dry but windy weather and got to Bowness in just under 90 minutes, average speed was 60. just loved the way that the traffic on the motorway moved over as they saw me approaching. Most of the M way was done at a nice round figure :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89412

I was going to say just look at the concentration.... but I'm doing stupid speeds with my eyes closed... OMG! Fraser is a brave man! :wink:

IMG_0423Small.jpg

Bowness was a bit busy so headed to Ambleside... Decided to get some pics and the heavens opened! We got soaked!

Ambleside

IMG_0424.jpg

From there we decided to go to Conniston and stopped for lunch on the way. Another photo opportunity.

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89413

Then back to Bowness via the ferry. 2 Porsches on the boat us and one of those jeepy things behind us! lol

More photos taken waiting for the ferry

IMG_0430.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89414

Decided to head home after that and had a nice drive back the dual carriageway with a car identical to mine... So V12CAT if your on here, thanks for that, you looked like you were enjoying it too.

Lost him on the M6 when the heavens opened, yet again and visibility was down to nothing.

I'll write a proper report for you all tomorrow, up early in the morning... Well 7am. Off to Blackpool before I have to take her back! :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89415

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nicola on 11 November 2006

LOL ! You found the switch for the spolier then !! :D

IMG_0420.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89419

Found the buttons for everything... :twisted:
and the horn and wipers work! :wink:

Had DaveK on hands free whilst he was on his hands free in the TT... proper show offs aren't we? It's very clever, just shoved my sim in a slot on the dash!

It's got sat nav and everything!

Anyone find the bose a bit basey though?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89422

Previous poster said:

Had DaveK on his knees
:eek:

:wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89425

Previous poster said:

Found the buttons for everything... :twisted:
and the horn and wipers work! :wink:

Had DaveK on hands free whilst he was on his hands free in the TT... proper show offs aren't we? It's very clever, just shoved my sim in a slot on the dash!

It's got sat nav and everything!

Anyone find the bose a bit basey though?
I still can't work the bloody nav yet on mine :) but the phone thing is great although I had to add a phone to my Orange contract to get a sim card to put in.

Yep, I've found the BOSE a bit boomy but I guess with a bit of setting up it will sound better.....anyway why listen to that when you have 3800 cc of pure Porscheness to listen to !!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89426

Not as nice sounding as Tara...

had to drive the 997 in low gears as sounds best between 4000-6000 rpm

Didn't do too bad, only hit the rev limiter in 2nd and 3rd (with Fraser following me - had to show off a bit, well his car is super charged)

Must try harder tomorrow! :twisted:

BTW ended up with a manual C2S rather than the tip C4S. Marcus knew I would kick off if he gave me a silver car... I was rather hoping I'd get the turbo instead but they have sold it :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89428

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by The ghost of Eff on 11 November 2006

Previous poster said:

Had DaveK on his knees
:eek:

:wink:
what again? :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89429

i'm counting all these Freudian slips now Nic :wink:

anyway looks like you've enjoyed yourself today even with the weather,must be the thought of DaveK :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89434

I didn't slip....

Mr Eff changed my post! :evil:

Then I just tried to be funny...

OK, I'll put down the spade and stop digging! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89436

Sounds like fun! So what do you think of the car? Is it on the wish list?

I love old Porsches but I have to say on a nasty wet day stuck in traffic there is nothing better than seat heaters a quiet cabin and a decent CD to cover the noise and commotion of Tokyo! Demisters that work and heating that can keep you cosy during the minus temps you get here in winter are an absolute must! And although the delivery is not as exciting sometimes as the older cars I have driven damn the new cars are fast!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 89455

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back