Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo S

James Cappaert

Hi

Firstly hello to all as this is my first post. Being a newbie I just wanted to ask for some advice. I've always wanted a 911 Turbo and at 40 (ouch!!) in a position to live that dream so....

Do any of you experts know how many 996 Turbo S arrived in the UK (I have heard about 100)

Would an Jan 05 (54 Plate) Turbo S with most extra's (although the electric seats only had one button to adjust the backrests is that correct?) but various stone chips and some small scratches, a scraped front spoiler and some small marks on the allosy be good value at £74,995 cash price?

I'd appreciate any feedback!

Thanks

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87345

You haven't said what mileage ????

I would just say, i would be dubious about buying a lovely car like that, knowing that the previous owner didn't care much for it, if you know what i mean......but i suppose everything has a price...

Assuming circa 10k miles or less, i would not say price is a give away, and would expect it to take a big hit over the next 2 years with the arrival of the 997 version now....

G.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87348

There are a few X50 Turbo's around for late £50's that would be better value IMO.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87368

Guys

Firstly, thanks for the welcome :)

Sorry about not mentioning the mileage, it's 16000 and it's a non porsche dealer that has the car. I have to agree with Manthey Man that the car did come across as more of someone's daily car that had been traded in rather than a cherished car and I guess that is what I am looking for. Interesting point about the value and definately something to keep in mind....wishing I had 100K for a 997 turbo :)

I have looked at the X50 Turbo's but I guess I like the uniqueness of the S model and normally they have all the extra's as standard which is always nice :)

Appreciate all your comments so far and looking forward to hearing from anyone else.

Thanks again

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87408

Agree with Glenn - doesn't sound like a good deal to me considering the condition etc..... They do pop up from time to time eg Brooklands had one recently at around the same money and they have a very good reputation.

Of course don't discount OPC's - They had one recently for £78k and there may of course be some small latitude in the price.

An X50 would be better value for sure - there is one a RSJ cars at the moment for about £62k - but have no idea on condition.

Gareth Williams on here may also be able to help in sourcing a good quality car....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87512

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by James Cappaert on 04 November 2006
Guys
Firstly, thanks for the welcome :)
Sorry about not mentioning the mileage, it's 16000 and it's a non porsche dealer that has the car.  I have to agree with Manthey Man that the car did come across as more of someone's daily car that had been traded in rather than a cherished car and I guess that is what I am looking for.  Interesting point about the value and definately something to keep in mind....wishing I had 100K for a 997 turbo :)
I have looked at the X50 Turbo's but I guess I like the uniqueness of the S model and normally they have all the extra's as standard which is always nice :)
Appreciate all your comments so far and looking forward to hearing from anyone else.
Thanks again
James

Hi James and welcome to 911uk!

The TurboS is a nice car, but apart from being a fully loaded TTX50, I'm not sure it's really that unique, imho. I think you do pay a premium for the fact that it says "Turbo S" on the rump, but since it is your first 911, I would recommend carefully thinking about what it is you want in the car. I'm not trying to put you off the TTS, but I do think you get much better value from a TTX50 (assuming you want the added boost from the K24 turbos). There is a significant saving to be had by finding a TTX50 in a nice spec over a TTS.

Good luck in your search - buying your first Porsche is always exciting!!! :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87565

.........and advantages getting an X50 with steel discs.

You *really* don't want PCCB's as with the 'S' - time after time people have had problems with premature wear and the cost of replacements is enough to make you weep ......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87577

and watch out for Turbo S fakes from non-OPC's, as a lot of cars just have the badge attached so make sure it is really real !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87584

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 05 November 2006

and watch out for Turbo S fakes from non-OPC's, as a lot of cars just have the badge attached so make sure it is really real !
What are the other ways to tell and S from a non-S (apart from the extra power)?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87626

None... apart from I think the TTS came in a rather fetching shade of dark green metallic... the pipe and slippers were the only options :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87643

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 06 November 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 05 November 2006

What are the other ways to tell and S from a non-S (apart from the extra power)?
S has PCCB as standard, and i think they had an option of Carrera GT Paint as standard, and also Carrera GT coloured wheels......

PCCB's on a TT only used on the road are no issue at all, they are awesome on my TT, and i personally think the standard steel ones are poor, as they are only a 4 pot caliper, as opposed to 6 pot on PCCB.

G.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87670

So, it's not that easy to tell a Turbo from a Turbo S then.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87738

To some degree Porsche tried to sell the 996TTS as the successor to the 993TTS - which is kind of true - but kind of not!

The 993TTS had ISTR the 993GT2 engine - and the prices have held very firm - but I agree with other posters here not sure that a different badge is going to make much difference to the value over 996TT X50 :?

If you have that kind of brass - buy a 993TTS and enjoy the slow depreciation - or find a really nice 996TT X50 and spend the saving on a classic 911 :wink:
OR wait 12 months and buy a 997TT when they fall in price.....

P

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87826

I know where there is a gorgeous 993 TurboS for sale... <whistle>

Migration info. Legacy thread was 87834

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back