Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C2 or C4?

Atte

Trainee
Just bought a w reg 996. The dealer advertised it as a C2. When the paperwork from Tesco Insurance came through it said it was a C4. They used the car reg to get it's details. So is there an easy way to tell?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84333

your boot will be tiny if its a C4.............tbh most Insurance co's don't have a clue about differences between most models

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84338

Atte,

This is a wind-up, right? No? OK.

Assuming there's no Carrera 4 badging on the back or sill plates, the only visual indicator is the titanium silver coloured brake calipers which were unique to the Carrera 4. Plus if your car's got PSM it's more likely to be a C4 (PSM was only an option on C2's from 2000).

Rodders is right - the boot's much smaller in the C4 - approx 70cm x 40cm (it's size is compromised by the 4WD system).

If all else fails punt your car hard into a corner then back off mid-way thru'. If you find the car understeers but you somehow manage to get thru' the corner then it's likely to be a Carrera 4. If on the other hand you find yourself on the phone to your insurers you've probably bought a Carrera 2! NOTE:
DON'T
TRY THIS!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84369

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Atte on 24 October 2006

Its a C2 then.Ta
Which method's of Doc's did you try?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84689

Atte,

Enjoy your Carrera and show it off to us in 'Owners Cars'.

Best Regards,

Doc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84795

my c2 didnt need backing off to get that "how many no-claims did I just lose" feeling...wild

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84819

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 24 October 2006
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Atte on 24 October 2006Its a C2 then.[/i:zSP2Rg68YL]

Ta

Well as i have come from a Lotus the boot looks huge to me anyway so that method was out. The crashing method didn't really appeal. That just left the brake calipers which are painted red not silver.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84934

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Atte on 25 October 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 24 October 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Atte on 24 October 2006

Its a C2 then.[/i:MwYRYeXDrM]

Ta
Well as i have come from a Lotus the boot looks huge to me anyway so that method was out. The crashing method didn't really appeal. That just left the brake calipers which are painted red not silver.
Probably should have mentioned that the spare wheel is verticle in the boot of a C2 and horizontal in a C4.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 84945

When I first called to update my Insurance when I bought mine, the ins. co. said it was a Cayene :(
then when I explained what it was, they didn't have a Targa listed so the put it down as a C2. Now changed to a company who stuff chickens rather than pay celebs to advertise their services.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85089

HI,

May be a bit late in the game here so apologies if this old info, or indeed incorrect, but my C4 has a PSM rocker switch on the dash, which allows you to turn it on or off. I dont belive the C2 has this according to my drivers manual or my mates C2, so that should be a definite way to tell.

Cheers,

Dan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85226

Hi Rude

PSM is an option on C2's so there are many that DO have the PSM rocker switch on the dash Not sure whether it was standard on C4's or not. I am guessing that it was due to the fact that if the namby pamby C4's drivers needed 4 wheel drive they may as well have PSM as standard :D

<dons flak jacket and awaits Daz's and Barneys attack>

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85234

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by DaveK on 26 October 2006

I am guessing that it was due to the fact that if the namby pamby C4's drivers needed 4 wheel drive they may as well have PSM as standard :D

<dons flak jacket and awaits Daz's and Barneys attack>

Hee Hee :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85238

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back