Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Intermittent RMS leak?

Peter B

For the last 10 days, after putting the car away, I have noticed one/two small drops of oil on the garage floor which have dripped off the roll bar that runs under the bell housing/crankcase joint.

I took the car to a local indy and he thought at first that I might have overfilled the resevoir. He ran the already hot engine at 4000 for about 7-10 minutes until the temp gauge was pointing up to the sky and the o/s sill and front wing were hot to the touch and the front/rear fans were on full tilt. When he let the revs drop, the oil gauge registered just below the top of the upper range after a few moments. He thought that it was not overfilled but not to do it again (!)

He then examined the car and checked the top breather and the area around it in case any oil had been expelled and had run down around the bell housing, but it was all dry. Then he looked at the bottom of the bell housing and it was slighly wet, with fresh oil ready to drip.

Wiped it off and told me to have a new RMS fitted. About £700 plus a new clutch etc. if required.

Drove home (about 20 miles), put the car away. No drips at all since then.

Strange?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 77148

mine's the same.........been told its a minor RMS leak and to see to it if and when the clutch needs replacing.............which it just so happens to need..............it can go days without leaking on the garage floor too

Migration info. Legacy thread was 77165

It's hard for you 933 boys with the odd drop of oil, it usually pisses out of a 996! :wink:

As you say, wait for the clutch and then sort it out. As I understand it the seal is perishable and so sooner or later it will start to drip (Although every six months would be annoying).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 77170

Just worth checking before spending :- Sometimes the small oil filter seal can leak onto undertray and then when tray fills (!!) it drips from the rear onto floor. Mine did this and retightening filter cured it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 77496

Peter B

you are a bottom (that would be ass hole)

You cheak me and then block my replies.

WHat a small ***** you are.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 77655

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Lola Eve on 03 October 2006

Peter B

you are a bottom (that would be ass hole)

You cheak me and then block my replies.

WHat a small ***** you are.
Oh Err.... :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 77661

whats going on here then???
signhuh.gif

Migration info. Legacy thread was 77663

Lola doesn't stand for any *****! Peter be warned!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 77717

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back