Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Trackday helmets

Will G-J

As all of you UK taxpayers have invested heavily in what I have been trying to force into my head over the last few years (guiness, mainly :wink: ) I have decided to invest in a fairly decent helmet for track days

Now should I go full or open face?

I like the idea of open face (have used them in rally days and the visability is great) but I also like my chin ( it's a useful endpoint for my face, I use it to rest on in lectures and it's where i keep half of my teeth) so what to do? :?

Also the ones that look like bikers helmets with the full visors, don't they steam up?

Cheers Will

911UK said:
It's a generation old, but still the most famous line in helmet history: 'If you've got a $10 head," ran Bell's ad, 'get a $10 helmet." Things have moved on a bit since then, of course. The retail price of a F1 helmet's from Arai, Bell and Schuberth are £3,000+ and that's without the fancy paint job and VAT.

At the other end of the scale a brand new budget helmet could be yours for £35, and there are plenty of options in between. So how do you decide what you should spend? Let's narrow down the choices.

Approval For Use

Life would be much simpler if there was a single, universal method of approving helmets. But there isn't. In Europe you'll commonly find three different sets of approval initials: BS, ECE and SA.

BSI

BS6658-85 is the British Standard for crash helmets. Any helmet meeting this is legal for road use on a motorcycle. The standard is divided into three categories: Type A/FR (red label) for helmets with a fire-resistant lining, Type A (blue label) for high-performance helmets and Type B (green label) for lower-rated helmets.

ECE

ECE is the Economic Community of Europe approval system. ECE 22-05 is also legal for bikers in the UK, but the older and less stringent ECE 22-04 standard is not.

SA

SA is the US Snell Foundation's 'Sports Activity' standard for car racing helmets. SA-standard helmets have tougher visors than bike helmets and are required to pass a rollbar impact test. Snell also has a less stringent series of standards for motorcycle helmets, the latest being Snell M2005.

DOT

In addition to those you may see the US Department of Transport (DOT) standard for bike helmets, the FIA's 8860-2004 'super helmet' standard for top-level racing helmets, another American standard called SFI31, and the ACU Gold and Silver standards which approve helmets for bike racing.

Whether these approvals actually help riders and drivers to choose helmets which best protect them is a moot point. The hardest standards to meet are the SA2005 and (similar) FIA standards, and these force helmet manufacturers to stiffen the energy absorbing layer inside the helmet to ensure that it doesn't squash completely in a major impact. The problem with that comes in impacts which are less severe, but still serious, where these stiffer helmets transmit higher forces to the wearer. The dilemma is whether or not those bigger impacts are relevant to real-world accidents and therefore worth designing for – and you'll find eminent experts on both sides of that argument.

Helmet standards

But the merits of the different approval systems don't really concern us here – what's important is that you choose a helmet which carries the approval labels required at the events where you'll be using it.

Helmet standards for track days vary from one organiser or circuit to the next, and checks on the day are often only cursory. Most of the time you could probably get away with any helmet, provided it was in good condition and fitted properly. But to avoid being caught out, be aware that many organisers will not allow Type B bike helmets, and some will only allow open-face helmets in hard-top cars. If you run an open car you'll need to get a full-face helmet.

Increasingly, track day organisers specify the same helmet standards as those which apply to motor sport. These are easier to pin down because they're spelt out in section Q of the 'Blue Book' – the MSA Motor Sports Yearbook. For club racing or speed events, you need a helmet which meets one or more of the following: FIA8860-2004, SA2005 or 2000, SFI 31.1A or 31.2A, BS 6658-85 Type A/FR or Type A (but not Type B). Helmets used in competition must be scrutineered before use to check their suitability. The scrutineer will attach a blue MSA approval sticker.
Which to choose?

Helmet Options

The first fundamental choice is between open-face (or 'jet') helmets and full-face lids. Some people find full-face helmets claustrophobic, or find communication easier with an open-face (which is why they are still popular in rallying). But the safety advantages of a full-face helmet are indisputable and as we've already mentioned, some track-day organisers insist on them in open cars. So unless you find the open-face helmet's advantages compelling, full-face is the way to go.

We'd steer clear of Type B bike helmets because they're no good for competitive motor sport, and increasingly inadmissible for track days. Instead aim for a BS6658 Type A or A/FR helmet – the latter will have a fire-resistant Nomex liner. British Standards approved helmets are zero rated for VAT, so these tend to be cheaper than equivalent lids which only have Snell SA approval.

Fitting

Each helmet manufacturer produces helmets which are a slightly different shape, so try on several and find the one that best matches your head. The helmet should be a snug fit, but not so tight that it gives you headaches. You'll feel like a berk, but wear it around the shop for half an hour to see if it becomes uncomfortable. Try these two useful tests. With the helmet on and the strap tight, try twisting the helmet around on your head, or get a helper to do it for you. Only a slight movement should be possible. Then try pulling up and forwards on the back of the helmet – you shouldn't be able to roll the helmet off your head.

Features

Some helmets have quick-release straps which can be unreliable, so most premium helmets stick to the tried-and-trusted double D-ring straps. Look for one with a Velcro pad or press-stud to tidy the loose end. Check that you are happy with the ease of use and security of the visor. If you plan to fit an intercom, look for a helmet with removable ear padding. On some helmets the liners can be removed for cleaning, which is a handy feature.

Care

Keep your helmet in a protective helmet bag to avoid damage: if you drop it onto a hard surface you could easily compromise the protection it would afford you in an accident. Even if you paid a little less than £3,500 for your helmet, it pays to take care of it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76187

I believe most are of the opinion that if things go t1ts up and a car/scenery interface occurs, involving airbag deployment or rearrangement of parts of car interior generally driverwards, then a full face helmet is preferred, thus avoiding a period of meals through straws etc. No reason why you would need to close your visor unless you want quality time alone with your Jessica Rabbit stickers during which time misting up may occur. Allegedly. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76190

ghost you just cheered us my evening is Oslo

Will, I have the open face variety. It is lighter which I like, but you are aware that the lower part of your face is exposed. However the way I look at it, come impact the odds are the airbag will go off, so you will probably be no worse off than when things go wrong late a night on a country lane. In fact better as the helment will probably help take some of the impact of the airbag.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76198

Will.

I have used Sparco helments for a long time and no complaints. I happen to use open face out of personal preference so used the Club for a long time which is about 70 quid. I then went to the same design but fireproof (Pro Jet I think) to do competitive events and the price was about 170 quid.

The one you have there is also fireproof (hence the price) indicated by the AFR code. Fireproof is over the top for track days unless you are going to wear a full fireproof suit however overall the one you have selected is a good helmet.

Ian.

IAn.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76218

WIll, I managed to get a lid for about £50. But I basically went full face - beacuse I have a cab. Went to a big bike shop and tried on loads of helmets, then found it on the internet for half the price. :oops:
I did post a picture a while ago!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76225

I have the Sparco Pro Jet. Excellent open face fireproof version. All you will ever need for trackdays. Open face = less claustraphobia inside the car. Easier to take on/off when doing trackdays as you get in/out of the car a lot.

www.gprdirect.com

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76329

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 25 September 2006

I have the Sparco Pro Jet. Excellent open face fireproof version.
how does that work when you get your face burnt off ? :twisted:
at least your hair is fine !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76330

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 25 September 2006
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 25 September 2006I have the Sparco Pro Jet. Excellent open face fireproof version.
at least your hair is fine !! [/i:302akCZ4dL]

Erm, good point... :oops:
but I hope not to experience that tbh... :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76350

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Sundeep on 25 September 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 25 September 2006

I have the Sparco Pro Jet. Excellent open face fireproof version.
at least your hair is fine !!
Fireproof baraclava.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76362

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by ian_uk on 26 September 2006

Fireproof baraclava.

Also useful for bank raids or when making "those" home movies with the missus. or so I'm told. Allegedly. :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76393

B4 my first trackday I bought a full face helmet (bcos I too have a cab) after trying on several in a bike shop. It only cost £40 including shipping. It seems fine, has been used for a couple of track days, also on the back of my mates bike and when I went quad biking :eek:
Not sure if it will ever been so clean and shiny again :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76394

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by uuf361 on 26 September 2006

B4 my first trackday I bought a full face helmet (bcos I too have a cab) after trying on several in a bike shop. It only cost £40 including shipping. It seems fine, has been used for a couple of track days, also on the back of my mates bike and when I went quad biking :eek:
Not sure if it will ever been so clean and shiny again :(
Don't forget you can use it for Karting too!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76398

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 26 September 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by uuf361 on 26 September 2006
Don't forget you can use it for Karting too!
Will be, if it cleans up enough, although I am going quad biking again in between now and then..............

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76401

Just found out that demon tweeks isn't that far from me. Might skive off tomorrow afternoon and go try some on

Migration info. Legacy thread was 76510

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back