Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Acceleration

dogzillaa

Before i take the car in i thought i'd get some advice here!

I have a 997-Tiptronic-S. According to the manual i should be doing 0-60 in 5.2 seconds and 0-100 in 11.5. Some of the options i've got include the sports chrono pack and the sports exhaust.

Now i've done some timing with a help of a friend, my 0-60 times were on average around 6.5seconds. My 0-100 times were around 12.5 seconds. Each time i tried with the sports suspension setting and sports mode. I've tried in manual as well as normal tiptronic setting.

Is there a trick to getting fast launches in these tiptronics?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 74852

What type of timing gear did you strap on to the car, what was your reaction time, how many people did you have on board, how much fuel, what tires and in what condition, and what type of road surface were you on? Was it a warm day? Oh and remember all the options you've put on to the base car has probably slowed it down a bit too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 74854

i suspect that the factory hold the car on the brakes, wang it up to 5-6 k revs and release the brakes to get those figures. Obviuosly they are not concerned if anything goes "twang".

Same goes for all the car mags - they dont own the cars therefore aren't bothered about any damage, they just want to get the best figures.

Be happy with the figures you have obtained methinks - just keep quoting the "official" figures down the pub - its cheaper in the long run.

welcome aboard BTW.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 74870

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Fuchs on 19 September 2006

i suspect that the factory hold the car on the brakes, wang it up to 5-6 k revs and release the brakes to get those figures. Obviuosly they are not concerned if anything goes "twang".
But he has the tiptronic. Should just be able to plant your foot flat on the floor and keep it there. I didn't think any braking was neccessary!

Now I would suspect the factory do the test with a thimble of petrol in the car and with a seven stone driver. That might make a difference.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 74874

they probably used Gary Coleman,

and used a car with no options, and no paint, and 12" Wheels :p

Migration info. Legacy thread was 74881

I believe the way to launch (or lunch) a tip or auto is to hold it on the foot brake, wind up the power and at the appropriate time release the footbrake.

Thats what i have managed to glean from Evo etc........ :D

I seem to remember the factory always does performace tests with half a tank of juice and 2 up.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 74882

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Fuchs on 19 September 2006

I believe the way to launch (or lunch) a tip or auto is to hold it on the foot brake, wind up the power and at the appropriate time release the footbrake.

Thats what i have managed to glean from Evo etc........ :D
Cheers - I will be able to get off from thr lights even quicker now! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 74886

how many miles are on your car ? assuming it's been run in

Migration info. Legacy thread was 74916

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 19 September 2006
they probably used Gary Coleman,
and used a car with no options, and no paint, and 12" Wheels :p
What' choo talkin' bout Willis?? :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 74983

I had a 997 S tip and i got readings of around 6.5 seconds on the 0-60, did'nt do the 0-100 as the drive was'nt long enough :wink:

Dick

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75068

Is it possible to turn off the traction control in a 997S ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75069

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 19 September 2006

Is it possible to turn off the traction control in a 997S ?

Isn't that what the PSM OFF button does?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75319

Thanks for the replies chaps, it seems like 6.5 seconds is backed up by another member too!

I understand there are plenty of variables to take into account of, but this is a performance car and i kinda expect that i should be able to reach atleast somewhere close to the stats!

I'll give the brakes + launch thing a go, i understand an automatic like this has no traditional clutch (so isnt prone to wearing out), so my only concern is the life of my brakes trying to hold onto so many horses!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 77027

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back