Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 997 advice needed....

Jason Langridge

This is my first post...

I was an M3 driver (please stop laughing) and since having our first son can't seem to shake off the need to have a fast car.....

I'm about to take the plunge (potentially) and buy a 997 Carerra 2S. A 911 has always been a dream car for me so I'm trying to buy with my head not just my heart.

I had a few questions which maybe this forum can help with:

1) Child Seat - my son is nearly 12 months old - realistically can I get him in the back... with what child seat? The porsche salesman told me yes so just checking.... (of course they are bound to say Yes)

2) Depreciation - I know Porsche's hold their value well.... am I expected to lose my shirt on this - what do you think it will be worth in 2-3 years with 30k miles on it?

3) Options - the car I'm looking at has Sat Nav, Bose, Sports Shift, Phone - are there other options I should make a must have

4) Colour - I'm looking at a silver car..... is this a good colour for resale (I do like Red too)

5) Servicing - what cost is the 10k/12k service?

Any help guidance really appreciated!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 71047

Jason - welcome - anyone who wants to discuss Porsches at 05:27 in the morning is alright in my book.

1)Child seat is a yes - there are a few options, all cheaper than the porsche one. Have a search though some of the older threads.

2) 3 year old C4Ss are going for between £40K and £45K at the moment (that's you selling them privately - not a dealer price). So you will lose a few quid

3) Those are good options to have, Porsche Sports exhaust is nice, if it's a coupe there are different opinions on sunroof and rear wiper. I think sports seats are a nice addition too. Sat Nav is the critical one though.

4) Silver always sells well. IMO Red looks great - you will also get a red car for slightly less. Some people say red is making a comeback - who knows!

5) Its a 20K service on the 997 and if they are anything like the 996 then they will be between £300 and £750 depending on the size of service.

Good luck

Migration info. Legacy thread was 71057

Welcome!! My favorite would be C4S in Seal Grey, a colour which i think is in high demand and difficult to find second hand. I've had clients waiting for six months to find the right 996 turbo in Seal Grey.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 71063

Red 997s are rare!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 71267

I am just back from the local OPC and during the conversation with the salesman he said that silver is becoming harder to sell because it is so common, so get out there and get a blood orange one, who wants to run with the crowd!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 71268

996 imminent William? :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 71274

Maybe :wink:

They had just sold the Turbo that I wanted to see :(
The other one was silver :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 71276

I have got to admit - the plain silver is the one I wouldn't get. Would probably have Yellow before that. Mind you I've always liked black cars!

I like the seal and the artic (if that is what it is called) though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 71299

Hi Jason

Read your posting with interest. I was you a month ago! I have bought a '05 997 c2s a couple of days ago and yes it was Seal Grey and I will also admit to being an ex M3 owner with a young child! Absolutely delighted with my 997 and I am sure you will be likewise with yours. I researched the car for nearly 2 months and my advice would be as follows -

1. Be patient & wait for the right one. They all look tempting but only go for the car that ticks all your boxes. The right car will come along.

2. I decided that the OPC's were simply asking too much money. I paid £60k for mine, the OPC's screen prices were £5k more. I would recommend scouring the private sales but research the seller thoroughly and above all have a pre purchase inspection carried out. I used Peter Morgan (plenty of plaudits for him on this forum)
www.petermorgan.org.uk
- he charges £295 and the report is extensive (190 point check) and his service 1st class. There are others that offer this service. The previous owner of my car was offered £58k by his OPC - £5k to £7k markup is nice work if you can get it! If you buy from an independent trader, still have an inspection.

3. Don't worry too much about the colour. It's a big buy, so go for a colour you like. Having said that, Red is out of style - sorry Red owners!

4. Depreciation - I am planning to keep mine for 4 years and am expecting to get £25k - £30k with 60k miles on clock. I think that's realistic.

5. Child seat - I have 3 year old son - he fits in fine.

6. Servicing - as detailed elsewhere it's 20k miles / 2 yr service interval. First service is around £350, 2nd service is a bigger deal - don't know the price but servicing costs are not horrendous. Parts , tyres are a different story!

7. Options - it's a personal opinion but I think Sat Nav is the only essential option. Anything else is nice but a future buyer is going to expect Sat Nav. I had this same problem selling my BMW without it. I went for a manual rather than Tip - I am not a real purist but I know that a standard Porsche nut (who will probably be your future buyer) prefer manual and in truth it's a lot more fun!

Good luck!

Miles

Migration info. Legacy thread was 71358

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back