Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2009 Porsche Panamera preview

Mike John

An exclusive article on the four-door coupe Panamera, it's platform and rumored related models, as well as the plans that Porsche has in mind and the competition that the 2009 model will have to beat (Maserati Quattroporte, Mercedes-Benz CLS-class). Available are also a small gallery of photos and artist's impressions.

"Earlier this summer Porsche’s board of management has announced that they have taken the decision to build a four-door coupe, called “Panamera” at the Company’s Leipzig Plant. To fourth model line using a front mounted engine and rear/all wheel drive is currently under development and is scheduled to enter the market in 2009. The investments for the production of the new model are estimated at around 150 million$..."

Here's the whole article: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche/2009-porsche-panamera-preview-ar12103.html

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70093

Now thats just wrong :eek:

95-22w.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70103

Porsche seem obsessed with the diluting of their sports car image brand. No offence (I have nothing against gay people - live and let live), but that has to be the gayest car money will buy. Talk about the pink pound. I have no doubt that homesexual men will be putting deposits on that faster then you can say 'wanna be the lock or the key?'

Just my opinion.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70108

What exacly is gay about a car aimed at a rich family man with two kids???
:?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70113

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Simon W on 16 August 2006

'wanna be the lock or the key?'

LOL

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70114

that's an older pic..... BUT THE 989 !

last I saw. depending on how busy the photoshoppers have been !

6060407.003.mini1L.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70117

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh - I don't mean to offend. I just don't see how this fits in. A rich family man has a Range Rover for the wife and kids and a sports car just for him for the drive to work and the weekends. I don't see any rich man with 2 kids wanting one of these. Just my opinion, but I think it smacks of Porsche losing site of what they want their brand to say about them. People buy Porsche because they love the brand. Cars like this have a fundamental impact on their brand image. I know we've seen this argument before on this site, but it's just as true now as it ever was. I get the feeling that soon enough, Porsche will be a car manufacture that also makes sports models.

Still, the 911's will always be awesome cars and highly desirable..esp the 993.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70133

That article is a load of junk IMHO - that silver car is definitley 993-based ie. more than 10 years old - it also has photos of a Merc (CLR?) and a Maserati - all labelled "2009 Porsche Panamerica Preview".

Then, in the middle of that, the blood red photoshop 'Porsche' actually looks great!

LJ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70138

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Simon W on 16 August 2006

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh - I don't mean to offend. I just don't see how this fits in. A rich family man has a Range Rover for the wife and kids and a sports car just for him for the drive to work and the weekends. I don't see any rich man with 2 kids wanting one of these. Just my opinion, but I think it smacks of Porsche losing site of what they want their brand to say about them. People buy Porsche because they love the brand. Cars like this have a fundamental impact on their brand image. I know we've seen this argument before on this site, but it's just as true now as it ever was. I get the feeling that soon enough, Porsche will be a car manufacture that also makes sports models.

Still, the 911's will always be awesome cars and highly desirable..esp the 993.
No-one thought the Cayenne would catch on. In fact, this pretty much started the trend of sporty 4x4s. Or maybe that was the X5. Either way, I'm sure the RR Sport, Audi Q7 etc would not be here if it weren't for the Cayenne. Even Maserati are considering a sporty SUV, and Aston have a prototype DB9 4 door doing the rounds. Porsche don't follow trends, they create them.

I don't see why a wealthy family chap would necessarily want to go around in a Chelsea Tractor when travelling en famille. A decent sports saloon provides a very spacious and safe means of transport for the family, but could provide more driving thrills than a 4x4 ever could.

Personally, if I had the means, a Porsche saloon like this would be very appealing as an alternative to an S8, Maser QP, Merc CLS or Bentley Flying Spur.

I think it will sell like hot cakes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70182

All depends on how much space/leg room there is in the back. A bit pointless if it's another 2+2 with almost useless back seats as we've already got 911. If the space is anywhere near as much as a 5-series then I'll be seriously consider it as out family cruiser to replace the 5-series.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70184

Wasn't the Ferrari 550 meant to be a "proper" four seater. They're as cheap as chips now. Organic chips maybe but chips all the same

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70186

550's rear seat is no bigger than 996/997 rear, so more of a 2+2 really. :roll:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70188

550 Maranello is a 2 seater- the 456GT is a 2+2, but pretty reasonable in the back, no worse than a Bentley Conti GT.

The 612 Scaglietti is quite big in the back, but £170k new! (but then so was the 456m which can now be had around the £40k mark.

All big fast cars get crucified by depreciation, good news if you're buying used :lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70190

The back seats on my 996 have never seen the light of day. They work much better as a parcel shelf...

.....for all my parcels???

Porsche over stepped the mass branding market with the Boxster IMO. Now there it is only the 911TT that retains Porshces sport car heritage. And to be brutally honest I never thought I would be able to own a 911, let alone a recent model like the 996.
Mass production leads to mass ownership and if I can have a 911 then they have probably lost their "elite" ownership.
Much to my continuing disappointment I can't afford a new Porsche, or a 996TT, and because they are the only ones that remain out of reach they become the only ones people want to buy. All the others become just another "luxury" car choice

Sadly I wouldn't p/ex my 911 for a new sporty Audi, without parting with some of my hard-earned now (not that I would ever consider such a thing) :( :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70192

I think they will sell loads of the Panamera's. The 911 isn't great if you have older kids and the Cayenne is not for all. However, I'm not sure how it will effect the Cayenne sales.

It fits a gap in the Porsche brand and there aim is to sell a lot of cars!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 70215

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back