Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne- V6 or V8?

Sean F

Guys. I need your help. As baby no 2 has come along last week Im finding it difficult to convince my very practical wife that the 911 is the best thing since sliced bread and we can live with it until the kids reach 18!!!!- and it aint happening!!

Im looking at a second hand 4x4 for around town trips . The X5, VW & RR really dont do it for me. I dont mind the looks- infact I think its much nicer that its counterparts. My options at this stage (with a budget of around £35k) are either the V6 Cayenne , one year old with a good spec (and keep my third baby, the porker) or trade it in for a V8, few years old model.

Im not too bothered about speed. So the V6 should fit the bill. I presume fuel isnt as bad as the V8 and Insurance would be a lot less.
What would be the must have options? Im thinking sat nav, air suspension, telephone, heated seat s and multi functional steering wheel, 20” wheels etc.., or if Im lucky all of the above with the Sport Design Package (but that may be a little optimistic with my budget)

Your thoughts and comments would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69392

Without a doubt go for the S

Coming from a 911, you will find the V6 very sluggish, and you will regrest not going for the extra power of the S. The sound of the engine in the V6 is not how a Porsche should sound.

Shop around and bater with the dealers as prices are coming down all the time.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69393

Thanks for that Dave.

Any idea on the fuel consumption for a V8 compared to the V6? Is it really that thirsty- early teens I hear?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69411

My mate has the V8 and it returns approx 13 - 18mpg overall

The V6 is slightly better,

however if you are worried about consumprtion suggest you get the Touareg tdi, which gives 28mpg and is the same car

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69412

A 4x4 for round town trips! Love it... glad that the green propaganda hasn't reached you!

I'd be looking at a Touareg V10 Tdi- an intriguing powerplant, v potent and economical considering the power. The Cayenne S does sound lovely though.

As a possible alternative to the Chelsea tractors, the new A6 Allroad looks lovely too, and would be a cracker in 3.0 Tdi guise.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69413

Erggh if i read your post correctly, you choices were

1) get a V6 & keep the 911
2) get a V8 & get rid of the 911

This becomes a no brainer take option 1).

I'm not gonna get into a discussion on the desirability of the Cayenne as you are already decided on that :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69421

advantage of the V8 S is that you are more likely to find one with a better spec than a V6

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69530

I had and "S" and was very pleased with it. I ended up selling it last march as the bottom was starting to fall out of the Cayenne market. I am not sure if you read the article in Total 911 about the Cayenne, but I agree with Phil - Who will want to buy a Cayenne when it is 4 - 5 years old. The dealers are having real trouble moving them on and many have been brought into stock at high prices. I spoke to one trader who had a 50 mile very well specc'ed V6 on his books for 9 months. It was priced at 36,995....Colours to go for are Black, Silver or Grey. With regard to options, it must have Sat/Nav, Tip, Parking sensors, 19 or 20" wheels as a min. The V6 also need to have auto aircon as they come with manual as standard.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69787

Touareg TDI. Go for the V10 if you can - awesome by all accounts.

And VW a much nicer company to deal with than Porsche.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69794

If that's your budget, you might also think about the XC90. Getting 32mpg out of ours although not fully run in yet and it also cruises very nicely at [insert illegal speed here]

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69797

My Cayenne S managed 17mpg on average (with reasonably "firm" driving!). Must haves are PCM & Tiptronic (oddly not standard) and at least 19" alloys - everything else is just nice to have (at least that is what buyers have told me)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69905

Hi,

I currently have V6 in Titanium Met. (Seal Grey). I priced it as new for £44.5K with Tip S and PCM as a must. I find the light comfort pack nice. Go for the big rims. With kids see if you can find one with sun blinds in the back. Park Assist is a must (just don't tell your insurers hey Tim). Servotronic steering is good for parking too. Oh and I have the VW crest imbossed in the headrest ahem, sorry Porsche Crest.

I get about 16MPG from mine combined however it is probably to do with my driving. If I wound back the clock, I would have gone for a well spec'd used S or Turbo. Don't go for Silver, they look awful. Black or Grey for my money.

If you are looking for any kind of fuel economy don't buy one! I love it and like the looks. I am financing a lot of RR Sport TDV6 HSE's at the moment and residual predictions are quite strong however I feel that the situation will change a year or two down the line. There is also a new X5 out next year which looks good and is well equipped.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69909

The VW Toe rag is not the same as a Cayenne - they just share the same floor pan but I do wish that Porsche would adopt that lovely smoker engine. IMO Porsche could have sold even more Cayenne's [oh, no! :twisted:
] if they had a TDI to offer.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69910

Well I have been more than happy with my RRS, Ok doesn't have the performance, but then to be honest for a commute into West London really doesn't need it. It can still cruise all day at speeds well in excess of the limit comfortably & quietly. Consumption is good I hit around 30 on the daily commute.

Sometimes think maybe I should have got a Cayenne S, but then it's like hell if I want to go quickly there's 2 others sitting in the garage that are designed for that. And I still think the RRS is far better looking than the Cayenne.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69946

Hello.

Selling my 997 4S for family reason and after having tested the Cayenne, Cayenne S and Lexus RX 400h...I would go for this Hybrid japanese car !!!

It appears that the tyres on the Cayenne are suffering from early aging due to the weight of the car, and it is 50% more expensive than the Lexus.

Still...I miss my 911 :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69948

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back