Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 NOT using oil

richardofengland

Nurburgring
I have driver approx 3700 miles in last two months and have checked the oil when

engine hot, switched off and settled and it still shows exactly the same on the dipstick. I was told to expect to use a litre of mobil 1 every couple of thousand miles.

any thoughts - just in case.

rich

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68888

Mine has not used hardly any in 8 months and 7,000 miles.........think it might depend on how hard you drive it (and I have been on a trackday.....alright quite slowly b4 anyone else says it)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68890

I wouldn't worry too much I only topped mine up after 4500 -5000miles after the electronic gauge started to show a drop in level.
What does the gauge indicate?

Matt

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68910

"I was told to expect to use a litre of mobil 1 every couple of thousand miles."

Who by?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68913

Mine uses none and I drive it hard.

Its coming to something when you are worried that a car is NOT usuing oil!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68914

Stevo,

Cridfords said it will when using mobil 1- as it has not I thought I would ask.

Philip1972

Just checking, it's a lot of money so all advise and comments are gladly received

thanks guys

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68915

echo above comments, mine only needed a slight top up after a track day, but other than that its been fine for a year of i hope not too easy driving!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68918

I know this sounds daft but mine seems to use more oil in the colder weather. I have not topped it up during the summer. I have had mine for almost a year now and in that time have covered 10,000 miles and have got through 3 litre's of oil.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68919

If you lot want something to worry about, I can give you food for thought.

Water imay be leaking into the oil system at the same rate the car is burning the oil!

If you are now suitably worried, then you can eleviate this by checking that the water level has not gone down.

Or could that be because air has also leaked into the water system!

Sorry about the above, but the time to worry is when things are going wrong - not when things are fine. You will end up old and grey like me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68922

Well every 911 I have owned has used oil, at different rates.

Each 996 I have owned has also used small amount of coolant.

In fact vitually every car I have ever owned has used oil, including the diesels.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68932

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back