Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking at buying an 80's 911

jay w

These have been my dream car ever since i was a small lad, don't know what the attraction is, i just love them, although i have never driven one!!!

I have been looking round for a while now and have decided to take the plunge at some point in the near future, the spec i have sort of decided on is:

Mid 80's Targa, preferably with the G50 gearbox, Not red or Black, Leather, rear spoiler.

Would love a supersport, but i doubt it will fit in the garage, does anyone know how wide they are on the rear?

What year did they start galvanising the shells? i was under the impression it was the early 80's, but that depends on where you read.

Any other pointers would be great
postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68391

Late 70s started galvanising bodies. Think they started in 76 with partial galvanisation. Probably fully galvanised by 78.

Cars will be fully galvanised if you are looking at 80s.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68393

cheers for that Ian.

i want to buy something that is as original as possible, for no other reason other than it shows it has been maintained to a good standard.

That said there are some mods that add vale to a car and will improve the car itself, are there any that would be worth looking for?

I want a manual one with Fusch alloys
postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68398

Usually some nice examples in the Porsche Club GB mag.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68402

Supersport is the way to go, unfortunately mines not for sale.

Think the width is 1775mm

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68952

Supersports are indeed 1775 mm, a mear 23mm wider than standard. I would be amazed if it wouldn't fit in the garage, our is quite small and she goes in just fine.

I could be wrong, and usually am, but I would have thought that the door mirrors are the widest part of the car, of course these might be wider on the supersport!

Not Red or Black, are you mad, these are the iconic colours, just imagine a nice guards red supersport, targa of not, woof!!! Black just looks the business, especially with a set of bling wheels. Absolute ***** to clean though.

There's quite a bit of info on this site:
http://www.netoffice.co.uk/carrera/serial.htm

I guess the thing to do is get out there and look at some and drive a couple. At the kind of age you are looking at, you may not be able to be too fussy about spec in order to get the right kind of condition. At 20 years old, not a lot of them are going to be pristine.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68978

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by supersport on 09 August 2006

At 20 years old, not a lot of them are going to be pristine.
Execept mine, clearly. And Super is right...Red or Black..Cant go worong

Migration info. Legacy thread was 68999

<cough> or dark blue....
2006_0326Image0010Small.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69005

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by nicola on 09 August 2006

Supersport is the way to go, unfortunately mines not for sale.

Think the width is 1775mm
That's not what you were saying yesterday!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69011

Tara is staying.... the Megane is going!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 69051

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stinkyspanner
Back