Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 C4S Oil Level

Jeremy Hunter

Hi,

I am new to the 911 and purchased a 2003 C4S from a Porsche dealer. When I purchased the car I was told that they can use a lot of oil and to keep a regular check on the oil level. There is an electronic gauge and also a dipstick. There is a big difference on the level with the electronic gauge and the dipstick and the electronic gauge seems to read diffently at different times. I spoke to the mechanic from the dealership who was rather abrubt and said to ignore the dipstick it is a waste of time and has been removed from the later models. I would have thought that a dipstick would be more accurate and I do not particularly trust the electronic gauge but would like to know if anyone has experienced this issue or if it is possible I may have a faulty electronic gauge.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67446

Jeremy, you should go with the electonic gauge value when the engine is cold and the car on a even surface. Once the car has warmed up it can vary a lot, so don't pay attention to that. Is there a big difference between dipstick and gauge when engine is cold? Then there may be a problem i would think...

I have to say even my electronic gauge can vary by a bar or two, but as long as it is in the range i do not worry. I only used the dipstick to check during a track day and when i had a problem with my oil sensor, both times it read as being ok.

I have had my car a year, my dealer too said they can use a lot of oil, but i have not found this...maybe i am not driving it hard enough! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67447

dip stick is key

now I canonly speak for the 993 series, but assuming that it is the same...

you can only get an accurate oil reading when the engine has been warmed up. otherwise through normal driving the level will vary quite a bit

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67448

They use oil, however does depend how you drive them,

Easy every day use, approx 1 litre every 2000 - 3000 miles.

Hard use, and track days approx 1 litre in 500 - 1000 miles

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67450

Thanks for the responses. The replies came a lot quicker than expected.

There seems to be a conflict of opinion on whether or not the engine needs to be warm or not. In the manual it suggests that the engine should be warm but I think F1_Dragon is correct in that the dipstick is more in line with the gauge when it has been left for a while to cool. I guess though it seems that my situation is pretty normal and the car is not using much oil so I will just monitor it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67457

The engine must be coldish and on a flat to get a correct reading from the digital guide.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67458

Yeh the inferior technology (993 and before :wink: ) needed the engine to be warm, but pretty sure with 996 the electronic gauge requires a cold engine...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67460

oil use does also vary based on the type of oil used....

there are differences in make up of Porsche approved brands whether OW40 or 5W40 e.g. on past experience Mobil 1 was a drinker but now using the more expensive esher based Silkolene Pro S is not.......

which oddly worked out cheaper in the long run as I didn't need to keep buying 1 litre top up's

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67468

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by F1_Dragon on 24 July 2006

Yeh the inferior technology (993 and before :wink: )
oi !! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67469

whistling.gif

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67471

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by F1_Dragon on 24 July 2006

Yeh the inferior technology (993 and before :wink: ) needed the engine to be warm, but pretty sure with 996 the electronic gauge requires a cold engine...
My old 911 required not only a warm engine, but also a running engine when you checked the level with the dipstick.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67473

Jeremy - you have a manual.
It is the correct source for all information on this and any other subject!
If you are not sure having read the manual contact the dealer.
If you suspect a faulty guage take the car back to the dealer. (If it is a Genuine Porsche dealer or a recognised experienced independant dealer.
Any information provided here is personal opinion (incuding mine) - so let the manual be your guide.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67485

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stevo on 24 July 2006

Jeremy - you have a manual.It is the correct source for all information on this and any other subject!If you are not sure having read the manual contact the dealer. If you suspect a faulty guage take the car back to the dealer. (If it is a Genuine Porsche dealer or a recognised experienced independant dealer.Any information provided here is personal opinion (incuding mine) - so let the manual be your guide.
Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated.

I have a manual which is the first thing I checked.

Having checked it, I checked my oil via. the electronic gauge and dipstick. There was a huge difference.

I went back to my genuine Porsche dealer who told me to ignore dipstick but I am not totally happy with this as a dipstick cannot be faulty in my mind, however the mechanic was abrupt and just said ignore dipstick.

I just wanted to see what other members experiences were as I have 12 months warrenty and want to make sure all aspects of car are 100% before I start paying for repairs.

I accept that all replys are personal opinion unless there are any Porsche mechanics out there that know different.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67543

Hi Jeremy.

I had a similar issue with my 996 (C2). About 8 months after purchase (and only c3000 miles) the gauge was only measuring up to the first bar. I spoke to the indie I bought the car from (and the guys on here) and was assured this is perfectly normal.
I then topped it up with Mobil 1 and since then I always go by the gauge and not the dipstick.
If in any doubt just call a local indie and I'm sure they will advise you.

Hope this is more helpful!!!

Matt

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67547

You could also try PMing Sid Spanner who is a Porsche mechanic, definitely knows what he is talking about and who i have found to be more than helpful.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67553

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back