Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What to look for 964 C4

JayG60

First of all hello, this is my first proper post as I am finally in a position to buy myself a 964. The car of my dreams for so long!

I am going to look at a LHD 1989 964 C4 on Sunday.

Obviously I have read up as much as I can in a short space of time about what to look out for, but what specific things do you guys think I should be looking at/for.

Cheers for any help.

Jay

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66560

Welcome aboard Jay, it's great to have you in the fold matey :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66562

Cheers guys, nice to have some familiar (some too much eh Asim :)) faces on a new forum.

Really looking forward to owning my dream. I promised myself I would own a 964 before I was 30 and hopefully I will be, 3 years ahead of schedule :)

Cheers

Jay

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66564

Just make sure it's a corker like the rest of your fleet of cars owned!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66565

They have all started off a bit shabby :) Its my ridiculous obsession with improving things that makes them turn out OK.

Anyway you can talk with your motors. MINT just about covers it :)

Jay

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66567

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by JayG60 on 13 July 2006

They have all started off a bit shabby :) Its my ridiculous obsession with improving things that makes them turn out OK.

OK...............your far too modest Jay

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66578

That one seems a bit of a bargain, v nice looking car, would consider it myself if I didn't have my car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66580

Saw it myself a couple of weeks ago and If it wasn't for my aforementioned problems with LHD then i'd have been tempted. nice looking car in the flesh v.tidy.

Steering wheel is on the wrong side though!

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66587

how does it compare to the one you posted about earlier then Will(the one with the bump in the bumper)???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66588

Hoping to look at a similar one on Sunday. Will let you know how I get on.

Just had a good read of a comprehensive 964 buyers guide and feel well armed to look over one now.

Jay

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66633

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 13 July 2006

how does it compare to the one you posted about earlier then Will(the one with the bump in the bumper)???
Much better nick I would say. None of the niggly little cosmetic problems but didn'trally go into the mechanical details. Think it had one spot of corrosion around the rear window but i believe they said that they's sort that at the lower price anyway.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66634

OK, so having done a fair bit of reading on the subject I thought I would post up a list of "things to look for on a 964" and see if there is anything major I have missed.

Ignoring all the "normal" car checks of general condition and things like panel gap, signs of damage, bearings, CV boots/joints, smoke, rust etc.etc.. Specifics to the 964 I have are..

Oil leaks into undertray - Specifically from around headgasket (or not) area.

Breather pipe from dizzy (stops belt rotting) - plus Documented evidence of belt replacement

Both interior fans working

Rear spoiler working

Cracks in any lights especially rear and reflector

Smooth clutch operation. Ideally replacement of original dual mass flywheel

Air-con function.

Good smooth braking.

No warning lights on the dash.

All I can think off at the mo.

Jay

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66665

The "clock unit cold solder problem" that causes the ABS, seatbelt or airbag light not to go out until you rev over 2500-3000 rpm on start up. This indicates the soldered connections on the back of the clock unit (which feeds a lot of other bits) are breaking down which results in the alternator not charging the battery if it gets worse.

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 66688

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back